free hit
counters
S1 bonnet fitting - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

S1 bonnet fitting

The bonnet of my series 1 had most of the hinge fixing points missing. It has the early bonnet hinges which are an 'L' shaped pin bolted to the body and a square steel plate with three holes in it which slides into a slot in the underside of the bonnet. The plate has a tube welded to it which slides over the pin and pivots on it.

This is where the problems start... If I fit the hinges to the body they end up quite far back from the front edge of the bonnet so I'm wondering if the pins should be shimmed. If you have a series 1 can you have a look and see if you have any shims on your bonnet hinges please?

Thanks, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No shims on mine. However, the existing mounting holes had enough slop to position the bonnet a number of differenct ways, good and bad.

The trick with mine seemed to be to make the gap between the edge of the pods and the leading edge of the hood quite large. Two people hold the hood steady while another person tightens the nuts on the inside of the bonnet in the tire bay.

DomG

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

As a sanity check can somebody just confirm which way up the pins for the bonnet hinges are supposed to go please. There are two possibilities where the pin points upwards or downwards...

(1) is upwards

and (2) is downwards

I suspect that (1) is the correct orientation but it would be nice to have this confirmed then at least I'm not going completely mad!!

Thanks, Paul.

Paul, you are right no. 1 is the right one. By the way no shims on my hinges. However the body does have two indentations so the bolts securing the bonnet don't rub on the body.

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Thanks for the sanity check Mark :lol: I can't see any way mine will ever fit without shimming those pins as the hinges are a 'mile out' from where the bonnet ends up? I really can't understand it :)

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman