free hit
counters
Battery drain - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mayevora

Battery drain

Have been wondering why even after the odd 50 or 100 mile drives, my battery runs flat so quickly again.

Topped all the cells up with water last week, but the same thing is happening - still pretty dead.

Easy solution is probably just a new battery - However..... after switching the engine off each time I can still hear something happening (some sort of motor, fizzing/rotateing) for a long time basically until the battery has drained when the noise then stops.

The noise is a quiet noise and is emminating from under the car behind the passenger seat but before the rear wheel - ie effectively directly under the rear quarterlight, under the car - everything is boxed off under the car so I can't see what it is.

I am assuming this is what is doing the battery drain but what is under there?

Having to use a secondary battery pack to jump start the car every time.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The Alternator is in front of the engine/behind your seat etc. I have heard on other cars they hum when they are shot/on their way out but really never heard one passing out on an Esprit before. Hopefully this is not your case as they are meant to be a right pain to get at and replace if you plan on attempting yourself :lol:

I replaced my battery two months ago but even still the car is only good for 4 days before the headlights pop up on slow cranking of car which is meant to be a sure sign of battery going flat. I think with immobilser/alarm, stereo etc they do need a trickle charger on them to keep topped up. Its a right pain !!

350.gifNo.23

Could be the re-circulation pump but under normal conditions it shouldn't be on. It normally only comes on when the engine has been working hard and then is turned off. The re-circulation pump comes on to pump the water round the engine to avoid heat soak.

It should only stay on for a few minutes and then go off.

May be worth checking it out.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

The noise is the coolant recirculation pump.

What happens is after you turn the engine off, a divertor valve closes in the coolant circuit to create a direct loop between the engine and radiator. The recirculation pump then pumps the coolant around the circuit with the fans flicking on and off every few minutes to keep the radiator cool. This prevents heat soak build up in the engine. So it's perfectly normal (you should be more worried if it never happened).

Just how long the system operates depends upon how long the engine was running and under what load (i.e. how much heat has built up in the engine block which needs to be dissipated). It may not operate at all if the engine was only running for a short time or under light load. But the service notes say it can be up to 20 minutes.

If your pump is running longer than that then there might be a problem. Do your fans flick on and off as expected?

Otherwise I'd suggest the battery is knackered. Nothing unusal in that for the V8 with the drain from the alarm, etc. I go through about one a year (no problem with Halfwits 4 year guarantee since I just swap it free of change for a new one every time!)

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Do your fans flick on and off as expected?

One thing that has happened on two separate occations - switched engine off and taken keys out after putting Esprit in garage - shut door and walked off. 5 mins later have returned to the car to find the fans going - they do not switch themselves off when this has happened on these two occations and again drained battery. So something is not as it should be. Temperature gauge seems to be functioning fine and not climbing at all.

Some good replys there people. Thanks

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Ian, I live in an area of the US where Summers are brutally warm. I have found it to be not all that unusual for the fans to come on well after engine shutdown, especially after a long drive. It is characteristic of "heat soak" to "peak" about 10 or 15 minutes after turning off the motor. And, as Neal pointed out, the recirc pump operates in conjunction with the fans to disipate the heat buildup. How old IS your battery anyway? Sounds like it just isn't able to carry the load long enough to perform the "cooldown" to completion. I've had my fans run for as long as 10 minutes---seems like an eternity---and from the noise they make they probably have a significant electrical draw.

Hope it's as simple as a new batt. Good luck to you,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Maybe not in this case of flat battery. But in the process of the dismantle for my starter overhauling, i always wondered what happens if the armature and some of the slim wires in the carbon brush connection get slightly in contact. There is only an small piece of plastic and a bit of rubber that covers them. My car has not burned to ashes (god seems to be on my side...) but i could see that a small scratch mark was there on the cables... .

And yes -The recirculation pump does come on, together with the fans when the engines is shut off on hot summer rides. As others say pretty normal (To my shame this happend only around fife times in my ownership [as it was more than 110

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

It's normal for the fans to lick in after the engine has ran. When you switch the engine off, the engine temp will rise and the fans kick in again.

I had a problem with constant battery drain and slow cranking. This was due to corrosion inside the starter motor. Once I changed it, she was fine after. It made such a difference whilst starting to. I believe Johnnathon had the same problem.

John

The noise is the coolant recirculation pump.

What happens is after you turn the engine off, a divertor valve closes in the coolant circuit to create a direct loop between the engine and radiator.

South West Lotus Centre have fitted a new coolant recirculation pump this week as it has persistantly been making some rather odd noises. SWLC confirmed the old one was knackered. Even the diverter valve was stuck half open permantantly and had also at some time in the past been wired up wrong.

South West Lotus Centre have fitted a new coolant recirculation pump this week as it has persistantly been making some rather odd noises. SWLC confirmed the old one was knackered. Even the diverter valve was stuck half open permantantly and had also at some time in the past been wired up wrong.

Ian, glad the problem has been solved. Three (really 4) questions:

1. Where is the recirc pump physically located?

2. Where is the diverter valve located, and is there any way to tell that it has actually opened or closed without removing it?

3. Can you actually hear the recirc pump when it has cause to operate? The fans generate, as we all know, quite a bit of noise, and I can't truly say that I've heard my pump over the racket. It would be nice to know that it is actually functioning.

Thanks,

John

1.) LH inner side secured to the GRP body section , under your car near the engine . It's an pump with an black piece of rubber and an steel clamp supporting/holding the pump housing.

2.) it's mounted to the top end of the frame (the t-Bone end) . There goes an tiny plastic pipe (the vacuum actuation) and the small water hoses for recirc/heater matrix on it..

3.) the fans are only noisy if the bearings (bronze type) are dry -or on the way out.. . That means you can her the pump normally if you stay next to LH rear of your car. Or next to your LH rear wheel. As far as i remember there is an relay in the fuse/relay box (rear luggage comp.)-so you can bride the contacts/override the relay an listen to the pump.. .

PS. OK I'm not IAN but I'm able for fast type response B)

Edited by G

[quote name='G

1. Where is the recirc pump physically located?

2. Where is the diverter valve located, and is there any way to tell that it has actually opened or closed without removing it?

A picture saves a thousand words!

1) Location of recirculation pump

post-45-1217754489.jpg

2) Location of diverter valve

post-45-1217754512.jpg

If the diverter valve is stuck open no hot coolant will flow into the heater matrix and hence the car will not blow any hot air into the the interior of the vehicle. This condition can occur due to a vacuum leak, actuator failure or in early 1996 V8s due to a design fault. The service manual says the following:

In September 1996, the plumbing and control logic of the diverter valve was revised. On early Esprit V8

models, built before September

[quote name='G

Ahhh, thats interesting -what have they told you about me !?

No , just kidding -think i should not care anything about. Every board needs an crazy stupid mascot... ;)

The question about temp. reference signal is something i have to look in the wiring-sheets first. As i have just not experienced the pump running cycle often enough. OK, I'm not the fastest driver -or it is not hot enough out there... .

Edited by G