free hit
counters
Speeding at Night! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

lately i've been engauging ( i can't spell btw) in the dangerous practice of driving like a mad man in the wee hours of the night along back roads just outside of a town near my house. i was wondering if anyone else has any experiences similar to this. i feel like i can let loose more, no people walking, no traffic in my way, no cops arround, mist everywhere, crisp night air, but of coarse lots of deer. and i keep hitting moths!!! i feel bad for the little guys.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Zach

We all like to drive enthusiastically, so please don't think I'm some sort of stick in the mud slow coach, but I don't think opening a debate on a public forum about the merits of

"dangerous practice of driving like a mad man in the wee hours of the night"

is appropriate.

The phrase "dangerous driving" implies you either putting yourself or others in harms way by your driving. I can't agree or condone it.

If you're talking about the thrill of going fast when at night because the roads are clearer, that's something I can agree with, but only if done safely, within the limits of car, driver and environment.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Don't forget in the dark you rely on your lights showing up any unexpected obstacles & obstructions. If a car brakes down or is stationery in the road, you're less able to see it at night than you would be during the day.

Andy

Driving quickly on roads that you presumably know well, since they're close to home, in conditions of zero traffic, doesn't seem to be a dangerous thing to do. Illegal, certainly, fun - definitely - but not necessarily dangerous. If it FEELS dangerous to you, you're probably pushing the envelope too far and too fast; need to build up to greater speeds more gradually. The other great thing of night driving is that other vehicles can be seen earlier by their headlights..so you know to slow down!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

yea, i probably should have put dangerous in quots. i used the word primarily to adress a stigma against it that i myself feel exists, based more on the conitions of the environment than on the practices of the driver. to drive beyond one's limits on a public road is certianly reckless and irresponsable, and perhaps the topic of another post. clearly my post is ambiguous in that respect, and i apologize for comming off as such. thanks for pointing that out!

I like seeing the car type and year i am passing or approaching.

:)

On a Motorway i'm very careful passing generic new saloons like volvos and vectras.

At night when all cars are reduced to just a set of headlights, i'm about five times more

uncomfortable passing anything. And if there are headlights behind me i'm very careful.

I don't like standing out (too much, in a car like the esprit!). IMO the best ways to get nicked are:

Driving fast at night past cars you cannot possibly identify.

Driving fast in the daytime past car types used by the plod.

Driving fast past any slip road.

Driving fast on a road unfamiliar to you when everyone else is slow.

Driving in convoy, where you actively have to ignore all the above to keep up.

:)

Very early in the morning, on my own, on known roads = best time for me.

:lol:

Glad you've clarified things Zach.

Paul great point about watching out for the Volvos, Beemers and Mercs that the traffic cops use now.

I experienced a very human side of the Police myself while night driving last October. My Father was critically ill in Birmingham at the end of a long illness, and I got the call that you dread in these situations from my sister, basically, "you need to get to Birmingham now."

It was 10.30 at night and I was in London without a car, so long story short taxi to Heathrow to find an all night hire car company, got a rental Astra and hit the M40 heading North. You can imagine my state of mind, and as it was late and the motorway quite clear, I hammered that car for everything it had and drove it at warp speed.

Sure enough as Paul says above, all of a sudden headlights appear behind me from a car travelling quicker than I. It was only ever going to be one thing and even though I got off the gas straight away, I found myself pulled by an unmarked black police Subaru.

I got out of the car and said straight away to the policeman "I'm not going to bullshit you I know exactly how fast I was going and it was deliberate, I deserve everything you're going to throw at me, but can we get the paperwork done as quickly as possible as my Father is dying and I need to get to Birmingham". At that moment in time I knew I was looking at a ban and a huge fine.

To his credit and my eternal gratitude he gave me a talking to and let me off.

I'll remember the humanity of that policeman for a very long time.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

althoug I live in the land of the alledgedly "NO"-speedlimit, I find my self driving at night in a more free flowing manner.

During the day I find my self hindered by some 80 year old break shoe or some "lady" with her chin up against the steering wheel..............

Sunday morning around 7:00 am is a good one though!

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

now now mark i wouldnt say midnight racer LOL, more midnight tunnel noise maker, then again if you want to talk about night+speed then mr m.ring is ya man, bad bad mike coming home from paris (3am) LMAO. the story is that he is "insane". redline in a s350 in 5th, what is it? LMAO, just a question obviously he he he.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)