free hit
counters
Adding a chargecooler and ancillaries - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ramjet

Adding a chargecooler and ancillaries

I am posting this to ask the much smarter people on here as to the difficulties of adding a chargecooler to an '89 turbo. (I did do a search, but could not find a thread with the specifics of it) I have been talking to Steve Taylor of the elanfactory in Melbourne who has told me that it would be a good addition to the car for several reasons.

1) More power. (we can never have enough of that can we? :lol: )

2) Protect the engine due to lower running temperature due to cooler intake air. (I thought this would be offset by higher engine stress and greater volume of charge air means greater volume of injected fuel which means more combustion, therefore higher temp?)

I contacted Steve at SJ who roughly quoted about 2500 pound for the bits to do it, but said it can't be done on an '89 as the hoses have to run through the chassis. This is contrary to Steve at elanfactory who told me it's not that difficult. Steve's (SJ) quote was for everything, charge cooler, radiator, pump, expansion bottle, hoses etc. If I did it, I would source hoses etc over here obviously. I have not yet looked into whether I can pick up a 2nd hand chargecooler over here.

So I throw myself upon the wisdom and wealth of knowledge here.

1) Can it be done? (I know just about anything can be done. The avatar of 'the mutant' is testament to that. BTW is there a thread detailing that? I would love to read it.)

2) What else is required to be done? i.e. ECU changes, injector changes, etc. What other mechanical difference are there between an '89 and the first SE's in OZ that are required due to the addition of the chargecooler? engine internals, clutch etc.

I would be taking it on myself. (Don't fear. While I'm not a mechanic, I am a mechanical fitter by trade so the mechanics of it are not daunting.)

I await the unleashing of the plethora of stored knowledge of the forum.

Thanks,

Michael.

ps If there's any dumb questions or statements above, please forgive me. Everything I have said has been learnt from reading, conversations and one test drive in '93.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Michael

This has already been done by Alan Croft on his previous car (which I think was also a carb turbo), and I believe it was an extremely successful conversion utilising the aircon rad. The car was traded to Pete at PNM Engineering when Alan bought Pete's HC G Car. I think Pete rates the car very highly, so I know it's possible to do a good job of this.

Here's the car (it's had a lot of other mods too)

9ac7b75e.jpg

fff2dd7e-1.jpg

Try dropping a PM to Alan, here's his profile..

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/index.php?showuser=48

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Michael,

I think I can help you with many of your questions as I have just done this work on the project Esprit S4.

Just email me for further information and I hope to speak to you soon.

The work I have done is on the www.lotusesprit.com.au

Hiya,

stop it mat I still get misty eyed when I see it.

Alledgedley from what Pete has told me it is the fastest esprit he has actually driven!! He has had it on the track at coomb as well and it went very well.

As Mat says I used the aircon rad (my aircon didn't work), an electric pump, Dermots old S4 chargecooler, a header tank from Dave Walters and some plumbing fitings and pipe.

Pic of the install here

2823630180046487786S425x425Q85.jpg

I also had to get the bit which bolts to the plenum (got that from Gary Kemp alledgedly off one of the lotus race cars) and fiited the dump valve (again Dave Walters). As mine was a carb turbo I fitted an electronic boost controller which gave me 2 boost settings (0.85 bar and 1.00 bar). I had the carbs rejetted at a race preparation garage across the river from me and had them jetted for the 1.00bar setting) At the Peco rolling road it gave 264bhp at low boost and 288 bhp at high boost. Pete has complained that the chargecooler is too efficient and at time could do with being turned off!

Have a look at both my page and glyn hapers on LEW. Also Artie on here has done his white turbo although that has injection already.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Hi ramjet

As you can see from previous posts, it can mosts certainly be done. There is a guy in Melbourne, ( other than Steve at Elan Factory), who has done a couple of these, apparently quite successfully.

He is get a hold of and usually a bit of an eccentric wannabe, however quite knowledgeable.

Team GP 347 Johnston St

Abbotsford, VIC 3067, Australia

+61 3 9419 9677

His name is Paul McCreery and I believe he was the head mechanic in the Lotus Team here back in the early 90's for I think their only season.

There has been a lot of bad press about poor old Paul and admittably most of it deserved. Most of this is due to his inability to complete work on time, with my engine and gearbox rebuild taking 9 months!

this does not detract from the fact that he is an exceptional mechanic.

If you cannot get a hold of him, let me know i will track down his ex partner who has built 450bhp esprits and now works for Honda.

There is also another guy who used to get work done at Team GP but says he found an awesome mechanic who built his 600hp V8, his name is Mike Palmer, who is in Melbourne and in fact used to own my car before me. Mike is on the Australian Esprit Register still i think but not hard to find him on a google search.

Hope this helps.

Justin

"Laugh" and the world laughs with you - "Cry" and you just wet your face...

Re the pipes having to go through the chassis, erm you could route them below the chassis but they would be exposes to grounding out. but whenever Lotus adopted the amalgamated chassis onwards would mean those holes are there already to route it.

You'd have to put the ali tubes in, but they don't have to e Lotus tubes, just find somebody who can bead the ends locally.

Mine currently uses the air con rad for the CC, but is soon to go to the Sport 300 set-up with aircon rad and CC rad both used for CC.

Andy

PS Do it.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Using the aircon condenser as the CC rad is out as where I live I'll need it. We can quite easily get 40 deg C days over here, so aircon is really nice to have. I know of several places near where I am that recore radiators so getting one made is not difficult. I suppose my biggest question is the one that Andy sort of answered re the plumbing and getting it through the chassis. Is the chassis cavity accessible? Has anyone got pics anywhere that I could look at?

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I used the oil cooler lines on my 89 turbo to plumb my chargecooler rad. I had a custom aluminum one made and made a custom bracket up front. I too retain my AC cause here in Missouri USA it gets 40C+ in the summer with 95% humidity. I located my oil cooler with a B&M cooler and have it mounted in the rear behind the rear lower valence. I located an SE header tank set and put that in place and use a Johnson pump electric pump for the CC pump. Feel free to PM me for info. I also have a write up on Cardomain.com and my car is artsespritturbo.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

To see what holes you already have running through the chassis I'd suggest raising the front of hte car and looking at the front T area, near where the steering rack is mounted.

I like the oil cooller lines route if air can cannot be sacrificed and you don't have enough holes. you will proabably be best advised to remove the engine to allow you to get the pipes in, but I guess you don't want to remove it just to plan the changes.

Andy

TBH for my V8 set up I am routing the pipes under the car. There are already some pipes under there so to ground it that badly you would likely take the front end off first!!!!!

Go for simplicity it works for better. If you needed to you could use braided lines then if you did grond they would only collapse for a second.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I did it on my 1983. You can see pics in the restoration section under "the rebuild". If you can get the heat exchanger / A/C condenser it will save you some time. I thought I saw a new one for sale in the the Lotus "aftersales" factory parts listing. I had a custom one made and it took awhile to get it to fit properly. A worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

Good luck,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Here's the Mutant project thread

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=6152

Michael,

I think I can help you with many of your questions as I have just done this work on the project Esprit S4.

Just email me for further information and I hope to speak to you soon.

In the spirit of the forum you'll find that the request was for info to be posted in the thread, that way it's useful to current and future members.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.