free hit
counters
Sad Sad Day! :O - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Artie

Sad Sad Day! :O

Well, the day has come for me to put the White Lightning up on stands and have her heart repaired. I have managed to beat her to the point of submission and the lump sitting in the engine bay is begging for attention. I believe I have broken a ring as a subsequent failure from a worn set of big end bearings. She has always made some clankety noises when cold and dry but with 21 psi of boost and failing bearings I think the ring couldn't handle the abuse. I have yet to pull the engine out but I assure you I will post many pictures and post my progress. I have emailed the man John Welch to employ his services for the engine rebuild and have some neat plans for what I want to accomplish. I do plan on blueprinting and fully building the motor with top quality aftermarket parts as needed(ie pistons) so I will hopefully be pulling the engine out in the next 2 weeks to get her on her way to the infirmary for the necessary attention! Have no fear mates, this has been in the plan all along so she'll be back on the road as soon as possible, better than ever!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. But I have to admit that I am very excited to see what your Esprit turns into after the rebuild! :lol:

Defintely looking forward to following your rebuild posts.

-Stephen

I head out to the garage now to start the epoch. 56K beware, pictures will follow!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I am sad to hear that she is going to be out for a while. I finally have the time to attend some of the Lotus/Viper get togethers and cruise a little bit. Sad you are not going to be there to participate. I hope she isn't out for long!!!

Jason

Artie - I think you're quiety relishing the thought!

This side of the pond the engine guru is Garry Kemp - he gave Lottie's PO lots of advice on how to beef her up for best part of 400bhp and I believe has gone much further than that with a 4-pot. I've swapped a couple of emails with him over the years and he's very helpful, and a good source of parts (he has new crate engines for sale too!).

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Know what you mean, Artie

Mine's been out for "open heart surgery" since end of last year.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope to be finnished with everything in 4 weeks time.

I experienced that it is not the time the garage works on your babe, it is the time you wait for parts to arrive.

Good luck and let's see some piccies

Stefan

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

I am sad as I didn't want to be with out the Lottie over summer, but I don't want to do more damage! I have removed most of the harness connections and drained the fluids. I will hopefully get some time this week evenings to do a little disassembly. My goal is to have the engine out by next weekend(June 13) and send her off to Illinois to John Welch at WC engineering for the build. That is where the time will be spent most, I haven't heard back yet so I don't know what his standard time frame is on builds etc. Will keep everyone posted. My hope is to have her back up and runnning by July! Jason, no worries, I think I'll be putting a new battery in my RX7 and reregister her so I have something to drive!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Sorry to hear it Artie. especially as we're coming into the summer season of driving in the sun just for the sheer hell of it.

Lets see the pics as you go (but keep them within the 800x600 size limit....sorry, forgot to take my mod hat off :lol: )

TK

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

No sweat Kimbers! Will do and I will Wiki the process too for future generations to enjoy! Cheers Mates, enjoy ye Lotties for me whilst mine goes under the knife. JE Pistons with ceramic coating and 600 gram billet steel con rods ordered today! I plan to knife edge or bullnose the crank too to remove some rotating mass. Will keep everyone posted.

Artie

Here are a few pictures of what I've got done. I removed the boot floor, my chargecooler pump, header tank, starter, also removed the rear translator cables and translator as a unit and just swung it out of the way so I won't need to readjust when I put it all back together.

These are the plugs from the harness to the rear relay panel

lotusenginerr003sx6.jpg

lotusenginerr003sx6.274af63b16.jpg

lotusenginerr006td1.jpg

lotusenginerr006td1.6cf4c2988b.jpg

lotusenginerr002rs7.jpg

lotusenginerr002rs7.96514cca6b.jpg

lotusenginerr008tq9.jpg

lotusenginerr008tq9.9e99cf3140.jpg

lotusenginerr007to1.jpg

lotusenginerr007to1.30239261b5.jpg

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I am sad as I didn't want to be with out the Lottie over summer, but I don't want to do more damage! I have removed most of the harness connections and drained the fluids. I will hopefully get some time this week evenings to do a little disassembly. My goal is to have the engine out by next weekend(June 13) and send her off to Illinois to John Welch at WC engineering for the build. That is where the time will be spent most, I haven't heard back yet so I don't know what his standard time frame is on builds etc. Will keep everyone posted. My hope is to have her back up and runnning by July! Jason, no worries, I think I'll be putting a new battery in my RX7 and reregister her so I have something to drive!

Artie

Artie,

we r on the same boat missing my lotus but enjoying the fd,

I have couple engines laying around, I can loan u one till u get urs rebuilt

by the way off toppic I saw Ari from rotary performance told him u said hi

on saturday in enis tx @ texas tuner showdown, what a great and helpful guy

I was so lucky that I beat Dan (jigsawrx7) @ semi finals and won the

1st place in super tuner street class

the fd is an amazing machine

good luck with the project

tony

Just read this Artie,

Absolutely gutted for you mate.

As has been said though - I am actually looking forward to your rebuild as it will probably be the way forward for many i'm sure...

Agree with Stu regarding Garry Kemp - he is very helpful and has made my camshaft, etc. as is John Welch who has supplied me with the Stage 2 turbo

Interestingly, we all await the collusion and production of the 'Phoenix' White Lightning Welch/Kemp/Baldwin Sport 450...???

All the best with it and any help with UK parts/spares or anything taken off from my SE you are more than welcome to.

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Right when I get mine on the road yours goes off! Its a sad thing when an Esprit is off the road, but I wouldn't be entirely upset if I had to install much better internals into my monster :devil: I certainly hope you can make it out to LOG!

P.S. I have tried many times to get my car into John at WC Engineering, but he is an extremely busy man. Infact I have been trying for over 1 year to get it into his shop with no luck. Hopefully you will have better luck then I.

Well, I'm hoping he will just be able to build me an engine. That should be pretty straightforward for him, no trouble shooting just building!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Well, I got a good bit done today, after fighting with the broken drift pin/punch that broke off in the half shaft, I removed all the water lines and removed the A/C compressor(so I can retain my A/C charge just done!) All I need to do now is loosen the engine mounts and hoist the lump out! I'll have pictures for you tomorrow if the weather cooperates as I'll need to roll the car out in the driveway a little to get my hoist in the boot area. Also, on another note I ordered lightweight Saenz Rods today from JAE(thanks a ton Jeff!) and will be getting my new JE pistons shipped off to Michael motorsports who'll be doing my rebuild. John Welch is just too busy to get to and I'm an impatient chap when it comes to this stuff! Pistons will be ceramic topped and Moly side(skirts) and the liners will be re-nikasilled and final honed to match the pistons. Also, I am contemplating the idea of knife edging the crankshaft to reduce some weight off the rotating assembly. Will see! Be back soon!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Excellent news Artie - Sounds like a great build spec.

I am sure that you will be very pleased with the JE pistons and coatings from JAE. I have their set for the V8 and the coatings are very well applied to the crowns and skirts.

Looking forward to more porgress.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks Mike,

I am anxious to get the engine out tonight(hopefully) and ship her out tomorrow. Jeff is having a set of liners re-nikasil'd for me and once the pistons are done being coated, they will be final honed. I am very excited to get this engine built and back in the car. I'll take some pictures of the engine coming out tonight.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Sounds great Art! I took my car up to Mike a few months ago to sort out once and for all the annoying cam timing issue. Hes a very knowledgeable guy and I am sure he will do a great job on your engine. He also makes adjustable timing gears which if he hasn't already mentioned to you, you may want to look into. It makes setting you cams up and redoing any timing a snap!

-Graham

Thanks Graham,

Already done, getting a custom ground inlet cam and the adjustable gear. I have a few other little tricks we will do also, like knife edge the crank and some other little tweaks! Getting quite excited about the finished product. I agree, Mike is very knowledgeable and seems up to the task. Jeff has been super to work with, he is coordinating the pistons and liners/rods etc and I'm quite relieved I can get this thing finally running the way it should!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Nice one Artie,

Glad you are getting it sorted.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Hey Art,

When I was up at Mick's he had mentioned a new inlet cam and I thought he had said its actually the same as the NA inlet cam. Is this indeed true or am I just making things up? Also I am very curious how your low end changes with a new cam as that was something I was looking into as my next upgrade.

I'll let you know, I believe it's actually a reground cam, but not for sure. BTW, got the engine out and disassembled just need to do a little cleaning up and she's ready to send off on Monday!!!! Here are a few more pics.

Artie

lotusenginerr010ks1.jpg

lotusenginerr010ks1.2db1722980.jpg

lotusenginerr013vf7.jpg

lotusenginerr013vf7.919371463e.jpg

lotusenginerr018jg2.jpg

lotusenginerr018jg2.c275e2fcff.jpg

lotusenginerr016ft6.jpg

lotusenginerr016ft6.9f2900b2bf.jpg

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Nice work Arite! Happy to see her out man! Hope all goes well with the build!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Thanks Marky!

She's on her way, got the ancillaries and everything off the block and shipped out this afternoon. Michael at Michael Motorsports should get it by end of the week. I also took the liberty to drop off all of the wrinkle red parts to my powdercoater for a nice new coat of Wrinkle Black coating and the aluminum intake runners will be a high temp chrome look silver as will the header tanks. The header tanks will be coated inside and out to help prolong their lifespan and hopefully make them look nice too!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm