free hit
counters
S1 Woolfrace Wheel Finish / Refurb - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GordonMasson

S1 Woolfrace Wheel Finish / Refurb

No doubt various options have been tried for finishing the Woolfrace wheels on an S1.

At the moment I have removed what

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Contact Scott at Bell & Collville. He's an expert and arranged for the refurb on the Wolfraces that were on that yellow S1 that went out to Florida. More info here

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11765

In particular post 6. You've already been talking to him previously................

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

The "turned" look is much nicer than polished IMHO (like Scotts USA project car). Might need a little extra TLC though.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I had my s1 wheels which were totally corroded (sat in field 10 years) diamond turned and laquered by Renowheel and they came back like new. Been sat on car outside next to the sea for 6 months and not a sign of corrosion. I chose to have the spoke sides painted black instead of grey as it made the wheels look sharper.

Renowheel did the original finishing for Wolfrace back in the day it goes without saying that they know what they are doing, I was very pleased, came to

Stateside experience, anyone? (hoarding S1 wheels doesn't count, Tony :lol: )

If you have them turned and don't have them clearcoated (whether spray or powder), you are going to have to polish them periodically, anyway; If you don't keep the car in a climate-controlled facility, they start to turn hazy in less than a year.

I have some where the original clearcoat is not yet cracking, etc., but they are losing their clarity in areas -- looking slightly cloudy. I would expect that modern clear powdercoating would look good for as least as long as the originals did. On the other hand, I had some where the clearcoat was cracking and had already fallen off in some areas, and on those I applied paint stripper and removed the rest of the clearcoat. Behold the original machining marks! These wheels needed a light polishing (by hand) after stripping the original clear, and I polish them once a year by hand. The machine marks are no longer razor sharp, but I still get the occasional rainbow reflection. I have been using Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish, but would like to experiment with finer polishes. I'd be happy either way, with machining marks or parabolic mirrors. :lol:

- T

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Someone I know got a "mirror" finish in similar alloys just with, gradually finer wet and dry sand papering and eventual polish. Lots of work and needs patience, but results are great.

I have no pateince so hope a dremell will help.

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Contact Scott at Bell & Collville. He's an expert and arranged for the refurb on the Wolfraces that were on that yellow S1 that went out to Florida. More info here

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11765

In particular post 6. You've already been talking to him previously................

Way to go Mat !!

I remembered having asked the question before but thought it was a PM