free hit
counters
Hooking up battery trickle charger options - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kyliesmith.com

Hooking up battery trickle charger options

Do any of you guys have an ingenious way of hooking up a battery trickle charger to your V8s with out opening the rear hatch, taking off battery cover then finally connect clip to the terminals? I was thinking it would be good to run a tidy little plug off the battery that went through the floor and exited by the rear bumper somewhere. What does everyone do? I never used to bother with the 89 Turbo as it would last 2 weeks before starting to go flat and would get driven in that period but the V8 needs it after 5 days.

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If the cigarette lighter is live without the ignition on, use that

Anglia cosworth powered

Sierra 5.7L mustang powered

Sierra convertable

Nissan Skyline

suzuki bandit with 1100gsxr engine

Jag XJ8

Mk2 Cortina, no engine

Lotus V8 engine, no car

cigarette lighter isn't on in our V8 car, if parked. But we can use the drain hole under the battery to line an cable outside between right rear wheel-housing and rear bumper section.

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I've seen various ways of it being done.

There is an article on LEW showing one way of doing it here

I use the same connector but leave the cable lying in the boot. When I put the car away I put the cable up through the engine vent louvres and close the boot. The connector I use is the same as that shown in the article and just fits through the louvres.

I didn't want an unfused direct connection to the battery hanging a few inches off the ground behind the rear wheels (which is where the article shows the connector).

RobC on his 350 has made the dummy fuel filler into a charging point. You can lift this off fairly easily. He has put on a magnetic catch and fitted a socket behind to provide a point for charging.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I bought my trickle charger at Halfords a few years ago but checking their website this morning it does not appear on the list.

I have a fused connection permanently connected to the battery. The lead lies in the boot and has a cap on it to protect the plug when it is not connected to the similar plug on the lead from the charger. I usually leave one side of the boot unhitched but since reading the previous post I will see if the plug on the charger side of the lead will slip through the louvres. I can't believe I didn't think of that route.

Brian

Edited by bingoking

I do the same as Dave Oneshot. It is a tight squeeze but the plug end does fit through the louvres.

I previously dangled the lead down the drain pipe but it didn't last long before the water and dirt caused the connectors to rot away.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

I've got the same as bingoking and very good it is too. They still do them in the stores for only

Kylie,

I use a batter tender waterproof and it comes with the O ring cables. (see attached photos) The O ring cables goes to the battery connectors directly. It has a 3 amp fuse & a quick release connector so I can disconnect it fast. The battery cover always stays in place, never need to be removed (it's a pain to take that off). The trunk still needs to be open because the battery tender stays in the trunk but I figure it's perhaps the easiest way for me already. Besides I always open the trunk after driving. I'll take some photos of my set up in the trunk tonight & post it.

Alan

post-3109-1212530139.jpg

post-3109-1212530586.jpg

Edited by E5PR1T

Using the water drain pipe is quite good ( even if I do say so myself ! ) but a bit of a faff to plug in. But it's a lot less hassle than having the battery go flat.

I've recently bought one of these for my Noble as it too goes flat within a couple of weeks ;

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_ma....aspx?manu=Ctek

I bought the XS800. For about

Right then, said Fred.

I've seen various ways of it being done.

There is an article on LEW showing one way of doing it here

I use the same connector but leave the cable lying in the boot. When I put the car away I put the cable up through the engine vent louvres and close the boot. The connector I use is the same as that shown in the article and just fits through the louvres.

I didn't want an unfused direct connection to the battery hanging a few inches off the ground behind the rear wheels (which is where the article shows the connector).

RobC on his 350 has made the dummy fuel filler into a charging point. You can lift this off fairly easily. He has put on a magnetic catch and fitted a socket behind to provide a point for charging.

Nice, I like the idea of mounting a plug through the dummy fuel filler, what a cool idea, trust Rob to do this :beer: B)

Putting the cable up through the vents, I never thought of this either!! Some top options here.

Kylie,

I use a batter tender waterproof and it comes with the O ring cables. (see attached photos) The O ring cables goes to the battery connectors directly. It has a 3 amp fuse & a quick release connector so I can disconnect it fast. The battery cover always stays in place, never need to be removed (it's a pain to take that off). The trunk still needs to be open because the battery tender stays in the trunk but I figure it's perhaps the easiest way for me already. Besides I always open the trunk after driving. I'll take some photos of my set up in the trunk tonight & post it.

Alan

Thanks Brian, Dave, Davegt, snuffy and Graham :devil: All good replies.

Alan, how much power drain does the car have when you leave the hatch open, when ever im tinkering in there I like to disconnect the rear boot light but have no idea how much power im saving. Bugger all id say?

Ive got plenty of options now just have to choose - oh the dramas! :beer:

350.gifNo.23

Kylie,

I have no idea how much power drains when the hatch is open with the rear boot light on, because it has always been disconnected :beer: The Battery Tender Waterproof indicator shows green when it's done charging & orange when it's charging. When it's connected the green light wouldn't turn orange until 10-12 hours later. (And it's probably due to the alarm system), and if I open the door for over 10-15 minutes, it'll start chargine...Therefore, I assume there's no power drain when the rear boot light is disconnected even with the hatch open.

The reason I choose the battery tender waterproof over others is because I found water in my trunk every time after I wash my car, so I use a waterproof trickle charger & I always leave the battery cover on.

I attached some photos of my set up, the battery tender is mounted w/velcro on the top of the trunk (so I can monitor whether it's charging or not without lifting the trunk cover). Sorry the photo quality is kind of bad. When I got home from work it was already kind of dark.

Alan

Brian, Dave, Davegt, snuffy and Graham :devil: All good replies.

Alan, how much power drain does the car have when you leave the hatch open, when ever im tinkering in there I like to disconnect the rear boot light but have no idea how much power im saving. Bugger all id say?

Ive got plenty of options now just have to choose - oh the dramas! :beer:

post-3109-1212550789.jpg

post-3109-1212551012.jpg

post-3109-1212551098.jpg

Edited by E5PR1T