free hit
counters
Oil spray shield - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buddsy

Oil spray shield

Ok so Ive been working through the service manual putting my engine back together. I put back the crank, main bearing housing & pistons. Now to fit the rear oil seal and fit the oil spray shield as it says in the manual. Only problem Im sure the oil spray shield needed to be fitted before the main bearing housing was put on!! DOH!!! Can anybody confirm this or is it possible to slip it in somehow at the stage I am at?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Been there done that.... If you follow the manual to the letter you will omit this part! I considered modifying it, splitting the MBP again. In the end I just left it out! The good news is that it did not cause me any issues. When I rebuilt the engine again some 5 years later, I refitted it.....

cheers Steve

Bollock bollocks bollocks yea i followed the manual and even checked back....! Im thinking I may be able to give it a tap with a mallet to expand it over the crank end might just get it??? Any body done this?

Same as Steve. One of those "needed to note that on tear down". I too got to where you are at and it is currently sitting on my work bench.

Cheers,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

ok so this is where i was! Pistons in crank in...spray shield not in!!

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

So I tried to see if i could force the old one on over the crank flange but no way, so I decided to take off the main bearing housing and undo the big end caps if I needed to. So to stop the pistons falling out I put the head on. This was cool as Ive never seen a head on my engine, as I bought it without a head!

IMG_8122.jpg

So with the head on I turned the engine and removed the main bearing housing. The wellseal is ment to never go off and after 2 weeks the housing came of nicely but man that stuff is sticky if you get it on your hands!!!

IMG_8123.jpg

As it happend it was really easy to put the spray seal in, so I didnt need to undo the big end caps. I could just slide it into the gap and rotate to its where it needed to be.

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

So all I have to do is to apply some more wellseal and torque the main bearing housing back up and Im back to where I was!!! Not too bad a job after all.

Buddsy

Edited by Buddsy

Well done old boy! Your engine is looking SWEET! You will be needing your crane back in no time! Let me know if i can be of any assistance, and i have that lotus cam belt for you when you need it!

Stay in touch

Simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Thanks Simon I will try to get round soon to get the engine ehoist out of your way. I got my first fuel tank out the other night and the good points of being stored in a barn for 14 years is the tank look like the day it went in!!! There was just a drop of the old four star in there, god its been ages since I smelled that old scent!!!