free hit
counters
Essex 020 Dead...sniff..sniff - warning sad photos - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Essex 020 Dead...sniff..sniff - warning sad photos

nello

It's not an icon, it's an oddity.

Blasphemer! :shock::)

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it could be hauled to the US and restored here as the class B issue would not be relevant... but it would have to be titled as salvaged. Prob not worth the cost. On another "piss folks off" idea, you could transfer the numbers etc from this car to the Essex car currently for sale in the states. There is a thread here someplace about it... it is not a "real" Essex... but it could be with a little swaping around! :shock:

Seriously though... A sad, sad ending for sure.

Cameron

Here it is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...m330240276087&

Cameron,

It would not have to be titled as salvaged. A damaged car is not a salvaged one by definition. Putting price aside and just looking at the car itself, it is very repairable. The fact that it was written off in the U.K. has nothing to do with its status in the States! :)

I, too, thought of the "unofficial" Essex car for sale in Maryland, but to be honest, I think it is even more unique than an "official" Essex car, not to mention rare (LHD . . .)!

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Nello and Waynef,

Lots of people here better qualified, I think the First Turbo's were the Bell and Colvill (spelling??) Series 2 Turbos, discussed on here before when a couple were for sale some time ago.

I think they were factory approved cars, but not sure.

Regards

Nick

• Gold FFM
I think they were factory approved cars, but not sure.

True, but not factory built.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Oh bugger I feel a cat-fight coming on............. :shock:

OK I'll start................

1.The Essex was the first Turbo Esprit. no it was not (bell and collville)

2.The stereo still looks amazing today. subjective

3.The early cars sit sooooo low and look sooo much more exotic for it. subjective

4.THAT color scheme - yes chrome. nice blue, hate the advertising

5.The F1 association. do ferrari sell cars with marlbrough/ vodafone etc written on them?

6.Sundym glass no idea what that is,

7.Compomotives. all cars have wheels

8.Dry Sump. so?

9.Mr Kimberley loves 'um. and drives an Aston Martin

10.'Nuff said.....

they are all valid points , and I DONT disagree they have a historical connection, but having "essex" written on your car does not make it any differnet to dodgys car for example ....thats a nice looking car....

none of the above is personal, I just dont like the cars with all the sponsorship on them, and I am not keen on the JPS look on the Esprit looks great on the F1 but i dont think it works on the Esprit

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I still think the Essex connection is cool.......David Thieme may nowadays looking back look like a pimp but his money and extravagance started the whole VIP/Luxury/F1 Pitlane hospitality thing off......

It was Thiemes personal request that spec'ed the Essex Turbo's Cockpit stereo and style. He really wanted it to look/be exclusive. And at the time they were - they were bloomin' expensive when available because of the spec - the stereo alone was

Edited by nello

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Following on from the various comments on Essex Turbo's here's a few photo's of Essex 020. The fire was extinguished in a matter of a few minutes after returning from road testing to cure an engine oil leak. The engine cover had been left off therefore the fire went upwards broke the bulk head rear window and smoke damaged the interior melting the roof radio.

Steve T

Should be saved. Ship it to some other country where any Esprit is highly prized and worth twice as much, and a gem like this will be eagerly repaired. Any boat repair place could fix that car with the proper spares.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I tried to buy 020 Essex through a friend who had an enviromental license to handle Cat B cars. I was then prepared to spend some considerable time to get the car re catagorised as I have known this to be possible but it would have taken an expensive engineers report and costings etc to do so and there is no guarantee for your investment. The problem was my friend was on holiday in Portugal when I saw the car ready to be auctioned before D. Valley bought it.

Problem 1 D. Valley are the equivailent of Dick Turpin when it comes to parts prices so the car although it only sold for if I remeber correctly around

Edited by G_Reaper2

Hi Steve,

You know who I am, we have had many conversations about the Essex cars. My car was MPW71V.

It is featured else where on LEW and on a video with a guy claiming to own it but he NEVER did, I sold it to his boss who was extremely wealthy he looked after it for him.

It started life as 1 of the 3 missing chassis No. between the S2 and S2.2 production run.

All 3 prototypes were painted in Essex colours.

Pre prod 1 is in Cars Of The Stars Keswick as used in "For Your Eyes Only" re painted bronze for the film. (Have a look at the stone chips on the car they show the Essex blue underneath). N/A engine fitted.

Pre Prod 2 is still about in Essex colours I dont know what engine it has fitted but it was the 2nd test bed for the All Lotus V8 planned for the Etna project. (It wont be a V8 Lotus made sure they were removed)

Pre Prod 3 My ex car was somewhat of a mile stone car in many ways, my information comes from numerous conversations with Patrick Peal of Lotus Cars in the early 90's who also liased with Don Mac (Lotus Bond Conection) about various details of MPW71V.

Patrick knew the car very well as back in the late 70's early 80's he was a developemnt engineer and MPW71V was his project car.

1) Originally Essex spec, used with the other protos for the launch of the Essex Ltd ed run and promoting the Essex Petroleum Lotus link.

2)Once developement and promotional duties had finished for the Turbo Esprit, the car was used as a tester for a unique colour scheme to make the car stand out on the snow in Cortina for the Bond Film. (It cannot be proved whether MPW71V appeared in the film or not as a number of cars were produced as promotional tools for the film but MPW71V was the first to have the Bond Colour and trim).

3) 1st Lotus to be powered by an all LOTUS V8.

4) 1st Lotus Esprit to have Lotus embossed in the rear bumper to promote the Lotus brand recognition while on set in "For Your Eyes Only"

5) Last duty for lotus was to use the Lotus V8 already fitted as a test bed for the LT5 induction system they were developing for the chevy V8 they were developing.

They get their moneys worth out of thier prototypes at Lotus dont you think.

I bought it engine/gearbox less. Complete with modified chassis, outboard rear solid discs, vented front discs. Five stud BBS wheels on the front Four stud BBS split rims on the rear.

I fitted a brand new HC Turbo engine and Citroen/Mas Gbox and moved the rear brakes back inboard before having to sell it to buy my 1st house in 1994 with only 16,000 miles on the clock.

The sale of MPW71V I will always regret.

Cheers Mike

I have to agree with Nello.I think there is something very special about early Esprits.Ecspecially Dry sump cars .Well i would say that as i use to own one .Ihave just bought a picture of Elio De Angelis with a Essex f1 car .From ebay .To me its just so historic .Really sad to see the Essex turbo in the Breakers yard Love your story G Reaper great history know how you feel .I think my old Turbo has a fantastic history Ex Road test car ............OPW679W one reg from the bond car First race turbo Ex Pete hall andy rouse Ex Gerry Marshall .the car broke the lap record at silverstone i belive.275 bhp.sold the car 14 years ago to haynes motor museam ..So at least its gone to a good home .Cheers all Mike

Hi Mike,

I think e have spoken on the tel a couple of years ago? Were you selling an S3 I seem to remeber talking to you about our respective cars while enquiring about a car you were selling??

Regards Mike Y

You have to admit, installing a high pressure fuelling system immediately above the high tension electrics is less than inspired! So many Esprits seem to suffer the same fate.

Shame to hear this car was in hospital for an oil leak when it died of a fuel leak..............

Yes i do remember .Still got my S3 .It has been 100 per cent reliable.But the car needs repainting and a complete retrim .Still working on the house .Its funny i never know how much money we spend on the house .Never seems enough for the jobs above .Nice to talk again love your cars history .It would have been great if you could have saved the Essex .IFyou want to check out the picture on ebay the listing numberis 33024755133.Cheers Mike