free hit
counters
Clutch & Tight into gear - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi,

I have a recurring clutch problem with my 200 V8, the problem manifests itself intially with a little tightness in the gear selection, then to difficulty in selecting 1st & 2nd and a grunch into reverse, this occurs only after the car is at running temperature. It then progressed to difficulty in all gears but again only when hot. When it first occured I had the clutch removed and rebuilt, it was quite warn with head marks on the plates. All was perfect for about 2000km when the problem has now returned with all the same simptoms and buildup, the clutch has been removed again and everything seems pretty much ok, at least nothing particularly obvious other than a few light head marks (machining marks still visable from refurbish), clutch dust was evident but I suppose this is to be expected. The first time out the gearbox was split and selectors and gears were inspected and everything was in top order. I wonder if there isn't some kind of sticking of one of the plates after a bit of dust build up, or some other tolerance problem that needs attention hence "sticky when hot". Peddle feels fine and no amount of pumping of the clutch makes any difference. Has anyone struck this problem before?

Thanks

Edited by bazespritv8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

a few questions:

Clutch pressure pipe -plastic/metal ? (i guess metal, as it is an past 97 car -so this is all good..)

Pedal setup as advice in workshop-book ? (as it is a bit different for some production types [twin plate/single plate] ).

Was the refurbish (of the friction plates?) with the right material and thickness?

Are you really sure that the friction plates move freely on the spline ?

(Otherwise it is still some friction on it -even if you press the pedal down. That produces more heat, more heat is concerned with stretching of materials, and the movement of the inputshaft is still present -and therefore you got an clutch problem and tighter grip ,without the wanted smooth shifting)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi,

It is a twin plate clutch, both the plates and the friction material were refurbished. Current wisdom is suggesting that the locator arms with the SS covers are sticking to the plate, probably due to dust build up, the plan is to machine a little off the sections on the plates that contact these. The pedal setup was checked as per spec so reasonably sure this wasn't the problem. The Lotus agent in NZ provided the specs for the refurbishment so hopefully this info was correct.

Thanks

Edited by bazespritv8

i hope you do not weaken something, if you machine the parts. And i wounder that the friction material produces so much dirt that the smooth SS surface blocks any movement ?!

But after all -you are not the only one with clutch problems, as so many curious things happen with our V8 cars :)

You have read all comments concerned with spline trouble and so on..??

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

from another thread, might be useful to check the following:------

"You have to bare in mind the clutch and hydraulics must be in good order and your gear change as precise as possible. It comes with practice and takes time to master with these cars as the gear change can be a intimidating, as you alluded to. Mainly down to the cables and the small amount of 'flex' or 'give' in the whole set up.

I am quite pedantic about ensuring the gear is engaged before releasing the clutch at high revs as if there is any doubt the gear is fully 'home' I will tend to be cautious and put it in neutral. This can take the wind out of a quick exit but has, on a couple of occasions, saved my 2nd gear. It was down to a slave cylinder that was not quite 100% and the ball joints on the gear cables being corroded and not lubricated.

The solution and the ultimate confidence builder is to ensure these are in good condition, I have the little rubber boots on the rod ends on the cables and I squirt grease using a syringe and a rubber tube into these to ensure they are slick.

Remember, they are right next to the exhaust and the heat and rain/road salt will dry them of any lubricant and they will stick making gear changes tiresome.

These little tricks can make owning the car so much less hassle and you will notice a big difference in the drivability if you haven't already done them.

Happy motoring