free hit
counters
Hot Turbo, smoke coming from it? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gavman

Hot Turbo, smoke coming from it?

Strange, I drive normally and every now and again I notice a little smoke from the engine bay turbo area.

Tracing it is coming from the turbo, sort of right in the middle somewhere. Looking at my turbo there is no spillage anywahere but still there is a little smoke and a lot of heat too.

The only clue is the attachment slightly above it looks a tiny weeny oily (steel pipe attaching to top of turbo).

Any thoughts? Need I tighten any bolts?

Gavman

Lotus Esprit Turbo Chargecooler SE 1991

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Need I tighten any bolts?

Um, are they loose?

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

It only needs a drip of oil on that hot turbo to give you that smoke.

I'd guess you've got a very slight oil leak/drip problem.

Graham.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

More then likely when the turbo heats up your oil inlet pipe may be leaking just a little bit. Shouldn't need more then a little tightening up. I had a similar problem on mine which ended up being a combination of small oil leaks to form one large blue smoke cloud! :)

Thanks guys,

There were two bolts at the top of the turbo, I guess these were for the oil. Anyway one side was slightly loose so I tightened it a little more; I think about half a turn. Other side was already tight but I added 1/8th more turn just in case.

Gavman

Lotus Esprit Turbo Chargecooler SE 1991

What colour smoke was it? I had a small (pin-prick sized) hole in my water hose which was causing clouds of smoke (technically green steam). Coolant from the turbo coolant hose was spraying straight onto the turbo. Looked ok until there was water pressure.

Cheers.

Ian R>

Edited by Qavion

It is amazing that this thread started yesterday. My turbo starked smoking on Saturday as well, but no smoke in the exhaust (so the leak must be external). The smoke seemed to be coming from th under side of the turbine. I got under the car and found one of the bolts on the oil return pipe was loose. I tightened it up and so far, so good.

I thought I had the same a few months back. It turned out to be my cam tower gaskets with a slight seepage. Leave the car sitting for a couple of days and you get a couple of drips on your manifold. Apparantly thats quite a common problem and always looks to be in that area.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)