free hit
counters
PMN replacement discs for AP equiped cars - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

PMN replacement discs for AP equiped cars

I need new disks for my sport 350, I'm planning on buying replacement discs from PMN. I know they have only just started doing them, but has anyone already bought them? They are offering me either with machined groves (in stock) or drilled like the OEM ones (but will take longer).

Any thoughts?

Will

'99 Sport 350

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Walters has just had them fitted to his car and did post some piccies on here.

Have a shufty in his profile for the link.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Hold out for the drilled ones. Technically it takes the same length of time to drill them (I think) but I suspect they've slotted all their ones in stock. I asked them to leave mine blank until I decided so I think I was the last.

It will look silly fronts slotted and rears drilled. I will speak to Pete in the morning.

What is the thickness of the new discs? The AP discs are 32mm thick but the Brembos were 28mm.

Are the AP replacements different to the upgrade compatible with the Brembo calipers?

If resurfacing my discs doesn't solve the judder, I'm interested in a pair too!

BTW, I think Adrian Mugridge has had PNM replacements for the front of his Sport 350 .. hopefully he'll be along soon to comment!

Edited by scoule
BTW, I think Adrian Mugridge has had PNM replacements for the front of his Sport 350 .. hopefully he'll be along soon to comment!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed I have. Mine were drilled, as Dave says, they would look silly with slotted front and drilled rears. They seem fine to me and cost me around

Right then, said Fred.

I'm changing all 4 so doesn't matter about matching the existing ones.

I believe PNM's replacement discs are 34mm thick but fit ok with the existing AP calipers.

I had groved discs on my mk2 elise are they looked good. Pete (PNM) has said that in his opinion that the groves are superior to drilling....

He's quoted me

I had groved discs on my mk2 elise are they looked good. Pete (PNM) has said that in his opinion that the groves are superior to drilling....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... I would agree that the grooved discs should be superior to the drilled ones.

If you

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I believe PNM's replacement discs are 34mm thick but fit ok with the existing AP calipers.

Will

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The fronts and the backs will be different thicknesses, the original fronts are 32mm and the rears are 28mm (I think)

I'm not sure 34mm thick would fit the front, I recently changed the front pads on mine and there was very little space left with new pads and 32mm discs!

I was slightly wrong. PNM's discs are 30mm. so the fronts fit ok. But the rears require a spacer under the caliper to bring the disc-caliper into alignment.

I've ordered the groved discs and i'll fit over the next week or so.

I'll post pics once I'm done.

Will

What is the thickness of the new discs?  The AP discs are 32mm thick but the Brembos were 28mm.

Are the AP replacements different to the upgrade compatible with the Brembo calipers?

If resurfacing my discs doesn't solve the judder, I'm interested in a pair too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regarding the "judder." I have 2002 with the stock drilled discs and only 2500 miles on them. I get a definite judder when I get on the brakes at 70mph+ but nothing really below that. Simkin thinks it's the air circulating through the drilled holes in the disc. Anyone else have this issue? I haven't checked the runout of the discs yet.

Regarding the "judder." I have 2002 with the stock drilled discs and only 2500 miles on them. I get a definite judder when I get on the brakes at 70mph+ but nothing really below that. Simkin thinks it's the air circulating through the drilled holes in the disc. Anyone else have this issue? I haven't checked the runout of the discs yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do your discs look completely clean?

I think mine is caused by a slightly rusty patch on the disc that formed when the car wasn't used much before I bought it. I can feel a change in friction with my finger over that area, no doubt the pads feel the same effect and at speed I think it could cause the judder. The runout on my discs is within spec.

It could also be a buildup of pad material in one place, especially if the brakes are held on after being very hot. In these cases a good scrub with emery cloth can remove the deposits and restore even braking. This is not always visible!

..or just drive the car as its makers intended and use the brakes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The story goes, the previous owner decided to race some bikes :D , unfortunately they weren't normal bikers and they got a little upset at being shown a clean pair of heels, unsportingly they called some colleagues using their radios ... resulting in a police helicopter lowering itself in front of the Esprit!

He wasn't able to drive it for a while afterwards ... resulting in a bit of a rusty patch on the discs ...

• 2 weeks later...

The reason why you can't just go and buy any old AP racing disc is because all the AP discs won't fit. Lotus cleverly got AP to make odd bells and discs so you can't just pop down to your local aftermarket dealer and pick up a set of AP discs.

This is also the reason why Lotus charge

Machine shop in Thailand is very cheap service. They have good machine too. Just give them sample or drawing they can do anything, brackets, mouthing bells etc. I've them make me rear brackets to fit AP-4pot for my S4s, 320 x 28mm. Perfect fit, you can see my car in garage. I've PUK upgraded kit. I plan to have my car big service on next rainy season, May96.(too long for you). If you got same bells as mine. I can ask machine shop here made a copy for you while my car in garage. Or you can give me drawing, I think they can make it. They use aluminium 7075-T657.

You may wonder, then why I use PUK kits not make my own kits. My knowledge about esprit 3-year ago, when I bought it, and now totally difference. My next project is to put 330x32mm in front with the same AP caliper serie (pro 5000+) as rear. About the cost, for example, too make EBPV bypass here cost less than 10Euro!! I even gave it for free to my friend in US, gixxer. He is member in this forum too. Please let me know if there is anything I can help.

Edited by s4s

What I try to say is, apracing.com has drawing in almost of there parts. You just pick a set of disc + caliper you want and go to any machine shop with its drawing. With drawing from ap, any shop in UK. can make custom mouthing bell and bracket for you. Maintainance cost in future is a lot cheaper than Lotus setup. Many pads available, everypart in caliper has repair kit.

Sorry for bad english.

PNM already do bells if you need them but no point really, jst change the discs.

464878442bZSuLx_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/photo/433007...464878442bZSuLx

464878738UiFYdk_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/photo/433007...464878738UiFYdk