free hit
counters
Front end lift - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
islandbloke

Front end lift

TT 2008 is nearly over, but for the last couple of years they've made the entire Mountain section of the course (from Ramsey to Douglas) one way for the duration of the racing fortnight. Bit like Mad Sunday for two whole weeks...

So (on my second attempt - Thursday's was aborted as the road was closed after a biker accident) I went for a fast hoon last night aound 8pm. Magical - virtually no traffic, great weather, and I was able to take the racing line, flat out (and legal)!

Fastest I got to was 140mph going up the Mountain Mile, but I didn't push any harder as she was starting to feel really floaty at the front.

At 18 years old, she's had all sorts of work over the years, some by me and some by her interim owner - and she's always felt planted at speed in the past, so I wonder what's changed? I see to remember she had an undertray at the front years ago, which is no longer there, and new front shox and springs were fitted a year ago - although I reckon the ride height is still to factory spec. Could it be an aero effect of no front undertray??

Onhly wondering...I've got a year to sort it - and I'd probably only manage 150 uphill anyway!!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's your rear shocks what will affect lift off, going up hill doesn't help either - the CG is waaaay back esp when accelerating and esp up hill....

Any stream lining at the front will probably help downforce but I would have said the majority of all that comes from the radiator angle.

check the bound on the rear suspension, but to be fair I've driven up steep hills at high speed and the GT3 feels the same, but it's expected really.

facebook = [email protected]

Thanks Jon - never thought of that!

Rear shox seem to do the job OK, but having done the fronts I'm planning the Lotus kit for the rears when funds allow. And maybe a plywood splitter right across the front and under the rads...

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Mines been floaty from day one, at 120mph which previous big front engined cars (Capri 2.8i, Opel Monza GSE, Volvo T5R) passed with ease it follows every lorry-rut. It might be perfectly safe in expert hands but for me it needs some weight over the front axle IMHO.

All this was on the Autobahn natch.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

My S3 felt quite light at the front at speeds over 100mph. The SE feels much heavier,

i assume this is down to the extra fibreglass in the bigger front spoiler, and the bigger

wheels and extra plumbing and that.

Have taken the SE to 160mph on a private test track. Around 120mph i thought she was

getting a 'bit' light, but as the speed piled on, the front kinda got 'sucked?' down again and

my car felt a lot heavier and more stable at 160 than it did at 120, which surprised me as i

thought from the feel at 120mph that the car would be more of a handful at 160mph. Not so.

:blush: