free hit
counters
Any one any ideas on this - maybe 2nd fuel pump? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sacha

Any one any ideas on this - maybe 2nd fuel pump?

Came to some traffic lights yesterday in the busiest part of town, and the esprit just cut out and refused to start (it just turned over) This was complemented by smoke coming out of the back of the esprit. I quickely opened the engine bay to find a 2 wires glowing red, burning all the insulation of everywire in sight. We quickly put the fire out with the fire extinguiser i carry for such emergancies.

The wires that burnt out went to a pump as in the picture. 1 positve unfused straight from the coil, and then an earth to the battery. These literally disintergrated. I had to get the car home (i was literally 1.5 mile away so got some new wire etc etc and re-wired these wires and insulated the others) After turning over a few times it started and i got home. Everthing was ok and then we tidies the wires up and put it down to old wires etc. Left it idling away and then off it went again. Car cut out and the wres glowing red and melting.

It looks like this is some kind of fuel pump but it isnt shown in my workshop manual. It is rubber mounted so looks rather OE. I assumed the pump was on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat so i bypassed the offending pump but there is no fuel getting to the engine now.

If no ones seen one before i would hazard a guess that the oe pump as knackered up and the previous owner has put a in - line pump in, which has broken down inside causing the high current and burning the wire out.

Any one ever seen one? Its the thing with the white sticker on

post-4414-1212958034.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

hello sacha. glad you were not hurt and the car survived, im no expert on these things but something not looking right in there, also there is what appears to be a breather pipe coming from that pump. im sure someone will halp soon

It's Oogies turn to boogie

That's an aftermarket pump, probably fitted at the same time as the air filters.

It sounds as if there's a problem with it & it's shorting which is causing the wires to get hot as there's no fuse in the supply.

I'd rip it out, find the original SU pump & get it replaced.

Cheers,

John W

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Get a BOSCH inline pump. Or Pierburg.

Those cheap aftermarket ones just always freeze up and cause trouble.

Which you luckily evaded !

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg