free hit
counters
S2 Metal Brake Pipes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
peteyg

S2 Metal Brake Pipes

Any reason why I shouldn't make the short S bend pipes on the front caliper out of copper? They appear to be steel.

One of them has a kink in it and while the hubs will be off as I'm in the process of changing the springs I thought it might be wise to sort the pipe.

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by peteyg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No Reason, all mine are now done in Copper, However I got a speacailist to do the hard to get to ones up front. Thanks Peter! Well, It was before I had my garage, infact it was before I had a house come to think of it.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

No reason, but it can be tricky to do a fairly tight bend, by hand, without kinking.

cheers Steve

A good trick is to use something round and sturdy that you can ease the copper pipe round, like the handle of a vice or a broom handle held in a Black & Decker WorkMate.

Thanks guys. I've got a proper copper pipe bending kit (borrowed from the Old Man) that allows you to make the bends without kinking. It was really about why the original was steel and not copper in the first place!?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

That's simple, steel was the industry standard until relatively recently. It needs less supports along its length and is less prone to being shaken and becoming stress fractured as a result.

In theory you should perform a complete brake fluid flush every few years, so having steel pipes didn't do that much to the cost as you already had all the labour costs of the complete drain and bleed.