free hit
counters
Taking the 350 in for a full geo check and alignment - Sport 350 Technical - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Taking the 350 in for a full geo check and alignment

tomorrow at Phoenix Motorsport.

It's never felt as planted as my old S4, nor has the steering had that typical Lotus telepathic feel I've felt on other Lotus cars.

Then when a friend and I took the 350 and my S2 Exige out for a run last week, I got to drive them back to back, and the speeds you can run around turns in, in the exige just feel plain scary in the 350, and I'm convinced that the 350 should be as good, if not better as the exige on the road.

Plus....with it being a repaired Cat D, I was assured by the PO, that the chassis was straight, but I've got no documentary evidence to back this up.....so I guess this is also a pretty important check which needs doing.

Track day next week and a trip to the ring coming up, so I'll let you know how I get on.....fingers crossed.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My 350 at 170+ at Vmax was stuck to the road ( in a straight line that is ).

By contrast, my Noble M12 at 160 feels like it's about to leave the road !

Right then, said Fred.

Huuuuuge relief to hear that the chassis is straight.

Was also pleased to find that the settings were absolutely way out......I'd have been gutted if it wasn't too bad, as that would mean it's genuinely not as good a road car as the Exige or my old S4.

Ollie at Phoenix Motorsport (highly recommended by the way) said that he'd never come across a car with 4 wheels so badly misaligned.....took him a while but he cracked it in the end and now it's bang on apparently.

Even the short trip home showed a massive improvement......I've still got to drive in anger round some local bends with choppy surfaces to really tell the difference, but the front now feels connected to the steering wheel like a proper Lotus.

Still not a massive fan of the Gaz shocks fitted, but Ollie told me to give them time, as they are apparently quite good units. We went through a couple of set up procedures. The process is not too far detached from setting a bike up in that respect, and I've had loads of experience in that from my racing days.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Ive done a comparison against a S1 Exige, but to be fair they are two different beasts in most aspects. Not a good comparison even if your car was properly set-up :)

My car feels well planted on the track. Only thing that let it down was lack of driver time behind the wheel and hard slippery tires.

Give the 350 a sniff of a straight and its gone :)

350.gifNo.23

Ive done a comparison against a S1 Exige, but to be fair they are two different beasts in most aspects. Not a good comparison even if your car was properly set-up :)

I disagree, Ollie has set the Exige up for track use, as until I got the Caterham, the Exige was pretty much a track only car. The intention was more to do with the road, to see if the Exige was as skittish over the same section of road as the 350.

The exige was absolutely awesome, walking all over the 350.....naturally until we hit a straight.

That highlighted to me, how badly the 350 had been set up, which was then confirmed by Ollie.

So....now it's set up correctly, I want to see how it compares again over the same section of road..........if I can get the 350 to soak up the bumps as well as the Exige, with the 350's power, it will be an amazing road car.

As far as them being different animals, the 350 will never change direction as quickly as the Exige but I'm not asking that of it.