free hit
counters
For those who care, I got my Porsche - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

For those who care, I got my Porsche

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are so clinically made ,and boring to me.

The 911 and 993 cars (as much as i don't like the badge image either James) cannot

be described as boring. I can say i don't want to ever own a Porsche, thats fine...

But i'm just guessing that like me, you have never fired a 911 to 198mph on an autobahn?

And i'm guessing that like me, you have never fired a 911 turbo around a wet race track?

In fairness to you, as you obviously hate them, i'm sure it's unlikely you have done either.

I have not either, but i find it very hard to believe that at any stage i would be bored, but of

course i have no real experience to back that up, maybe i'd be doing a crossword or something...

:2guns:

Here John, I went from Lotus to Porsche! Admittedly from Elise to Boxster and i don't think you will be the last to do it either! There is something very reassuring about German engineering, knowing that every time you hop in it, it will start and get you where ever you need to go! Still somehow the Lotus bug stays with you always and i wouldn't at all be surprised if later you revisit the marque as i did with my S3Turbo!

Enjoy the car John (Just don't take it round Snetterton like i did in my Boxster - they are well engineered but i managed to kill one!! - blew the main bearings if you can believe that!!)

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

My mate drives round in one of these but with blue details rather than red. His is a restored replica, a 1984 911, with RS parts, many real, its got 2.7 litres + supercharger and shoves out 235 bhp and only weighs ~999Kg .

Up close it looks the business and on hoons next to mine we do look cool side by side on the dual carriage ways. I would like an older 911, maybe call it the third way

I dont think you can say these look clinical and boring

93454574_85c3f11d63_o.jpg

Edited by Alex --GT3--

what is wrong with the name? its a small crocodile that probabaly bites.....

no different to lambo calling their car a "bat" look up Murci

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

I like your mates Beetle Alex and that would be a justifiable expense.

But a new Cayman?

NEVER.

There are probably 50-100 cars i'd want before i stumped up the cash for that.

The guy is brave in many ways.

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

As an German, 'no' -wouldn't say German cars are generally reliable. Especially not if i ever can manage to reach the status of an engineer... :2guns:

And they look not "clean", as for example that optional aluminum design looks a bit like painted plastic ? (what it also really seems to be in the end ...) . It gives the whole car more a toy look , with those additional attached intakes. It would be more nicely if those where in body color, so the line would look more 'straight'. Bud thats my personal opinion.

And yes, we Germans cook our meal also with water (as we say over here..). So there is no special quality secret behind it -just production rate vs. price of parts from external suppliers vs. profit vs. management and production rules. An small company (like Lotus is , compared to the production capacity of only one plant vs. global production in the Porsche company..) can not be profitable if it had to match up those continental (German) regularities. And i have hared that some long time Porsche owners also see an difference in quality from older types to the new 'fast design, fast production, cheap external supplier cars from new times ... .

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Honnestly, I think that Porsche quality has always been approximative, regarding what you pay for the car. You mainly pay for the name, history, palmares and "savoir-faire" but it doesn't mean in any way that you're 911 interior is well made or that the plastics in your Boxster are any better than an average Fiat.

Alex

Nice piccy of a VW Beetle. Obviously had a little work done, New wheels almost make it driveable.

I find, driving a German car myself, that the Engineering is superb. The cars are supremely well made and I can understand why someone would want one.

For me there isn't a Porsche that I would take over any other car in it's class. They just don't.......inspire me, they don't have the design flair of the Italians or the Charisma of the British.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Those service intervals can be taken with a pinch of salt, really.

Will an oil (same type and viscosity) last twice as long in a Cayman than an Esprit? depends how the car is driven but if identically they will break down at the same rate.

Will brake pads (same compound) last twice as long in a Cayman than an Esprit? again, depends on how they are driven but if identically they will wear at 'about' the same rate if the cars weigh a similar amount which I suspect they do.

That is all manufacturer blurb to sell cars. Don't believe a word of it. They get changed when they need it, not when the manufacturer claims it probably will.

Are you going to leave an oil change in your pride and joy for 2 whole years or 20,000 miles? I wouldn't.

my insurance is about

Edited by DBredS4

You're right about the wearing of pads DB. But 20,000miles is about what the pads will last as an average. Just as they did on the 4 different Luxus models I owned. Two of which weighed two tons.

If the service manual says oil every two years, then that is what she will get. Don't forget these are modern day cars with amazing engineering, so it's not beyond reason that a car today can be driven with the same oil for two years.

This is not just sales blurb. This is also after speaking to other owners who are more than happy.

Kimbers is right about Italian flare and beauty in their cars. But then again, they are not built as well or as reliable. As I I've said before, the Cayman is perfect for me and what I need it for.

John

Good luck to ya - from all the reviews it's a good car, not everyone's cup of tea - pmsl, but then again the Esprit is !?!? :animier:

I know many more people that would go for a Cayman than an Esprit believe me - turn key it's likely to be much more worry free than the Esprit too (still have nightmares about that bloody alarm !!!). I've never had an Esprit break on me, well....unless you count the radiator but luckily that went on a 2 mile journey....but you've always got that niggling in your head....what if...and I must admit to checking the tyre pressures, oil and fluid levels more than I do any other car I drive.

TBH what other car can you buy with that performance / features ? Nothing Italian comes to mind (prices are silly money) so German cars fill that gap rather well. SLK AMG is another good example, I can remember needing 2 days of rest after laughing so hard at the 1/4 mile wheel spin we did with the thing after we found out how to turn off the TC :D

At the end of the day you buy a car on how well it suits your needs, personally I would love another turn key fun car that I could leave outside without much worry of it getting keyed, everyone wanting to race you all the time and a worry to leave anywhere.

If you've ever down this way again, pop by, I'd love to see it :)

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = [email protected]

I'd go for a BMW-Alpina as a german car... amazing cars, much, MUCH more refined in driving (you have to drive one to believe what they achieved). A really JOY to drive, the engineering in the driving, the ride as well as technical aspect is astonishing, the car is not a poseur's car, but still very rare, with plenty of character and very charming (with unique Alpina features/options). Plus they are as reliable as a standard BMW, you can bring children to school or go shopping and end up racing on a track and drive back home. I've become totally adept since the first one i've bought !

Edited by Alireza

Has John done something to upset you lot??

The amount of flack he has taken.

John that is a great car, as I said before I'd have one straight away.

As for a BMW ALPINA yep great car but its not a 2 seater sports car, thats like me comparing a Jag XJR to my Esprit. both fast (Jag faster) but completly different, types of vehicles.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

From the road tests I've read the Cayman is a fast car with excellent handing. In fact, many tests say it's better than a 911. It's mid-engine with a water-cooled 6 cylinder engine so no beetle connection.

Personally I am not mad about the styling but who the hell cares what I think? A good car and sane chocie for what you want, John.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

John

Please don't get me wrong, I think if it's right for you then well done. I hoon with the Piston Heads boys so have everything from Mercs to Peugeots, everyone to their own.

I only criticise in jest, I said I'd never own an Alfa but fell in love with one recently and my order is in! :lol: I know, I'm a hypocrite! :baby:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)