free hit
counters
s3 body shapes - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simon a-b

s3 body shapes

Hi all,

I looked at an '85 s3 yesterday (http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_popup.jsp?did=10117&pageid=3&originalid=&gid=nogroup&tid=2&start=10&distance=0&adcategory=

cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=200822311195924://http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...200822311195924://http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...200822311195924://http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...200822311195924://http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...200822311195924) if you want to look at it, and although it was an s3 it looked like it had turbo sills, with intake ducts etc. it had the removable full glass sunroof, and (although i'm not sure about this bit) looked like the spoiler at the trailing edge of the boot was bigger (like the turbo body?). it had the s3 glass hatch, and definitely didn't have a turbo. was there some variation in s3 bodies? did ones with the full glass sunroof have a different body to other s3s? were the later bodies (i believe from around 85 onward they used different front suspension) different to earlier bodies? since i'm on the lookout for a s3 to play with i'm getting confused; maybe the previous owner fitted turbo sills because he liked them!

my preference is for a car with the glass roof (i need all the head space i can get; another tall esprit owner coming up! are we mad?) but i don't love the fussiness of the turbo body. is there anyone out there that can help?

cheers

simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't think there were many variations in body shape on the S3. The only ones I can think of were the recess where you can put your hand to lift the tailgate appeared on later cars, and there can be some variation in the number of vent holes in the bonnet at it's rear edge.

That looks to me like a standard S3 with turbo side skirts and front spoiler added, not too difficult a job to do aftermarket. The rear spoiler doesn't look any different than a standard S3 to me. The spoiler on the turbo cars is integral to the body shell, and is well nigh impossible to retro fit to a NA car without major surgery, so that probably explains why that hasn't been done. I remember ElTel has Paul C's first Esprit which was an NA with turbo parts, see here....

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EOwners/Terry%20Lovett.html

I've got to say that looks like an excessive price for an S3. I've seen nice standard cars at lower prices. If you prefer the NA shape I'd pass and keep looking.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

i agree on price, i just looked as the spec was identical (save colour) to my ideal. that being said it was in very nice condition indeed; it was half leather on the seats and the aircon didn't do much (probably needs a good overhaul/regas) but apart from that i couldn't fault it (although i am a novice really...).

i haven't seen any early cars with the full glass roof, perhaps because they're rare not because they weren't made!

cheers

simon

Does look a tidy car but remeber that much lurks below!! lol I dont know how rare the glass roof models were on a N/A car but they are fairly common on the turbos. Some people dont like them as they think they ruin the shape. I got the glass roof on my turbo and think its pretty good. I know on some of the early cars S1 maybe S2 people had later sunroofs fitted. These are a bit naff I think and some people filled them back up rather than have these little sun roofs. Matt Watts in his S1 Barn find resto has done this I beleive.

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Crikey, if someone buys at close to the asking price I, and many others I'm sure will be well pleased ....

Looks nice if a bit garish, the S3 lines are best pure IMO. Maybe you could take all those add-on bits off.

Tony maybe it would be worth taking the turbo trim off if it was a cheap one but for that kind of money you would want it to be as you want. Even so comparing this price with other super cars still cheap lol but thats a whole other thread!!! lol

Looks like somebody has added a Turbo front spoiler and side skirts. To my mind it detracts from teh value but it's a personal choice thing.

The price at

Baz I agree with what you say but what something is worth and what something costs are 2 different things...especially when it comes to Lotus cars lol

That looks to me like a standard S3 with turbo side skirts and front spoiler added, not too difficult a job to do aftermarket. The rear spoiler doesn't look any different than a standard S3 to me. The spoiler on the turbo cars is integral to the body shell, and is well nigh impossible to retro fit to a NA car without major surgery, so that probably explains why that hasn't been done. I remember ElTel has Paul C's first Esprit which was an NA with turbo parts, see here....

It is a turbo rear spoiler, I don't know how true it is but when Giugario designed the turbo he put the spoiler on and the engineers thought that this would upset the balance of the car, but chapman would not let them change the design so the engineers put a gurney strip across the top of the roof on the rear lovers to make the rear spoiler all but useless.

With the glass rear hatch on this could upset the high speed balance of the car.........

Just my 2p worth.

It is a turbo rear spoiler,

Nah no way Look at these cars same view but spoiler is much bigger

media.jpg

a.jpg

Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_1982_Red.jpg

lotus_24.jpg

Also there is a join on the turbo where the spoiler is

Lotus20Essex2031.jpg

rear veiw, that defo an S3 doesnt have the sunk in No.Plate

mediae.jpg

James_Bond_Lotus.jpg

But I may well be corrected by someone else!!! lol

Edited by Buddsy

hahaha yea I enjoyed looking at all those Esprits I still like to look of the painted gold "LOTUS" looks very Brash!!! Just like my Turbo lol Less is often more...but more is even more especially in GOLD lol just ask Bibs!!! :2guns:

I still like to look of the painted gold "LOTUS" looks very Brash!!!

My brother kept trying to get me to do that to the S3, he used to do it to cars when he was a car painter.

I'm not that keen on doing it myself as the lines are not sharp enough for me to follow successfully, but done well it does lokk OK (not bother either way).

Andy

If you HAVE to do this, do it the only proper way:

in 24k GOLD!

hummer_gold.jpg

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

yes there are differences in the body of N/A S3's. the early one's are have the nice crisp creased in the cant-rails. the later MK2 have a much softer cant-rails and on some cars the upper side window frame rails are not bent to match the roof line creating a inconsistent gap. typically these later cars are identified by bodied colored bumpers and the missing blacked triangle trim piece in the base of the A-post.

I prefer the earlier cars as they are closer to giugiaro original design.

pp