free hit
counters
New engine & new gearbox! Need new help! - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Slegs

New engine & new gearbox! Need new help!

Guest Slegs

Hi folks... I'm in need of some "engineering" help for this part of my project. I have purchased a 2007 350Z motor and a porsche boxster S 6 speed gearbox. I need help figuring out how to mate the two for my esprit. I figure that I'll need an adaptor plate and a pilot bushing machined. Any ideas or suggestions on mating the two units???

Thanks,

John

post-3137-1213277003.jpg

post-3137-1213277013.jpg

post-3137-1213278149.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How can you put a Japanese engine in the Esprit ???????!!!!!!!! :respect::2guns::D:wallbash:

The Lotus turbo engine is a masterwork, one of the best engineered turbo engine of all time...

I disagree!!

anyway good luck with your project !!!! :D

Cheers :2guns:

Check out www.ultima.ca - or look up V12 Ultima, there is a fellow Canadian who put a BMW V12 into his Ultima, mated to a Porsche G50.

What he makes will not work for you, but there are some pictures that will give you lots of ideas.

I didn't take any pics of my project at that stage, but I put a BMW V12 in my Esprit, with the Citreon Box.

Good luck with the project.

I had my plate ad flywheel made by a friend of mine here in Ontario. He could do it for you, but you would have to ship them all up here.

He did a top notch job on mine.

JMR

Edited by lotusross

Guest Slegs
How can you put a Japanese engine in the Esprit ???????!!!!!!!! :D :D :respect::2guns:

The Lotus turbo engine is a masterwork, one of the best engineered turbo engine of all time...

I disagree!!

anyway good luck with your project !!!! :wallbash:

Cheers :2guns:

I know, I knew that I would upset some Lotus Esprit purists out there with this project, but reliability and modern ingenuity should compliment this car very very well. I love love love love love my Esprit and I want to drive my Lotus as often as possible without the fear of 20 year old parts letting me down.

Besides, with the added twin turbos to the 306 hp nissan engine, my little esprit will put out around 450 hp... It should be a fun ride!

I'd start by speaking to Punky or Hilly.

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Everythings...... :wallbash::respect::2guns:

I don't know but I'm a purist , if i want to drive a car with 400 Hp, I'll buy a car with 400 Hp...I don't lke hybrid, just my taste.

Anyway I consider Lotus cars the best engineering cars in the world at the time so I'm not sure that a Turbo Esprit will be so good with such a power,

there are a lot a factors regarding weight, chassis and body flexing under braking and acceleration, and everything that was properly designed for the original power and handling.

Just my little little little opinion.

Cheers

:2guns:

Guest Slegs
Everythings...... :wallbash::respect::2guns:

I don't know but I'm a purist , if i want to drive a car with 400 Hp, I'll buy a car with 400 Hp...I don't lke hybrid, just my taste.

Anyway I consider Lotus cars the best engineering cars in the world at the time so I'm not sure that a Turbo Esprit will be so good with such a power,

there are a lot a factors regarding weight, chassis and body flexing under braking and acceleration, and everything that was properly designed for the original power and handling.

Just my little little little opinion.

Cheers

:2guns:

I totally respect your point of view. It was a difficult decision to make, but I've always been one of those people who never left well enough alone. I took a perfect Fiat X1/9 and carved it up to make a dallara replica. I hope that I don't offend anyone out here with my project because I truly value the insight and knowledge that is shared on this forum and I've met some incredibly intelligent and friendly folks! : )

Edited by Slegs

John I do agree with ghe67 but like him I am a practical purist and think these things should be kept running, but I understand what you want to do and it is you car so you can do what ever you want. Always good to have other Lotus enthusiasts around what ever their taste, makes the world a better place lol Personally I think with cars where there are hundreds of examples such as MGBs in England specials are not a problem but on more limited cars no so sure. If you can answer these questions to yourself you should go ahead with it; 1 Do you really need more power? BHP is just a number that people knock around and is easy to get obsessed by, power to weight is maybe more a true test. My old mg midget i tuned a bit and I was only ever beaten from the lights once in 2 years and that was 68 BHP!!! 2, Will it really improve the reliability? It might show up weakness further down the line? 3, I think the value would be much lower, I wouldn

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Same here cant help you but ive never seen the point of hybrids such these. The amount of money poured into donar parts and time to actually make it work your better off buying the newest Esprit V8 you can find and be done with it. Anyway good luck to you :2guns:

350.gifNo.23

Hello John,

I agree with you this is a great swap! Actually I am doing a very similar one. A Nissan 3lt Turbo into a NA esprit. I am using the Renault transaxel so I won't have the pain of the gear linkages. But a nice strong Porsche 6 speed box would be loverly..

I am using a 16mm alloy plate as an adaptor between the engine and the bell housing. The critical issue is the alignment of the gearbox input shaft and the engine crank centre. My engine was previously an auto and has a 20mm diameter sleeve where the pilot bearing goes. I have purchased a 20mm ground shaft and machined a alignment tool with a 20mm id and 32mm od (32mm is the size of the bell housing hole).

Then

1) Mount the adaptor plate on the engine

2) Sit the 20mm ground bar in the pilot bearing sleeve (end of crank shaft)

3) Fit my alignment tool to the bell housing hole (where the gearbox input shaft comes through)

4) Slide the bell housing with the alignment tool down the 20mm ground bar so it is hard up against the engine adaptor plate.

5) Drill dowel holes in the bell housing right through into the adaptor plate.

The photos enclosed show my trial run of the adaptor plate (made from MDF) and a dummy fit into the car. It all fits very nicely though there will be some challenges with the engine mounts.

Best regards

Geoff..

P.S. Yes I know I should do a write up of this swap. It is just a matter of finding time.

post-4767-1213326471.jpg

post-4767-1213326499.jpg

post-4767-1213328769.jpg

JOHN,

I respect your point of view too.

By the way, if your Lotus engine is unuseful for you I want to ask you if you can sell me the auxiliary pulley (oil pump drive). :animier:

Good luck with your project.

Ciao

sounds like great combo,

it will b hard to find an adapter

looks like u have lots of homework to go through

to custom make ur parts

will b following this thread closely

I will probably start one to soon

rotary powerd S4

Finaly after long search

tomorow I am picking up my 20b rotary engine,

I can't sleep beeing scared of the guy selling it

might change his mind,

I am also slaping a garret gt42

dual ball bearing turbo,

will build the engine for reliable low boost 500rwhp

on the gearbox will machine a custom thicker, longer primary shaft

with gm t56 gearbox spline so I can use spec twin disk I have lying

around from rotary to t56 box custom adapter kit

any way

best luck with ur project

tony

Guest Slegs

Well, here are some pics from the late model panel installs... The frame has been blasted, painted and arriving home shortly so I can get the suspension hung....

Edited by Slegs

Guest Slegs

Hey Punky! Thanks so much for the info and sharing your experience. I'm having such a difficult time finding anyone who even knows what a Lotus is let alone understanding what I'm trying to accomplish. BTW: My last name is Slagel and my nickname among friends is SLEGS. I'd love to join your group "Sleg".... It just seems appropriate!!! Can you email me an application?

Sincerely,

John Slagel

[email protected]

I will probably start one to soon

rotary powerd S4

Finaly after long search

tomorow I am picking up my 20b rotary engine,

I can't sleep beeing scared of the guy selling it

might change his mind,

I am also slaping a garret gt42

dual ball bearing turbo,

will build the engine for reliable low boost 500rwhp

on the gearbox will machine a custom thicker, longer primary shaft

with gm t56 gearbox spline so I can use spec twin disk I have lying

around from rotary to t56 box custom adapter kit

any way

best luck with ur project

tony

Wow, sounds like a great project, can't wait to see the end result. Rotary engines are very light and compact so I'd assume it'd improve the handling and the balance of an Esprit. I love the sound of a ported turbo 13b.