free hit
counters
Parking Brake warning light - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
neill1607

Parking Brake warning light

When you turn on the ignition key the parking brake warning light comes on - so the bulb is ok.

It doesn't come on when the handbrake is on.

I presume there's a switch somewhere which triggers the warning light when you put the handbrake on - anyone know where? or is there likely to be some other reason!

Thanks

Hooligan at heart.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's near the parking brake lever, in the sill of the car. You're best to lift part of the carpet and free up the sill to gain access.

Sounds like the right diagnosis.

Andy

It's under the sill carpet, just near the front edge of the seat (the handbrake adjustment is just aft of the seat).

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. A wire pulled out of one of the two spade connectors attached to the switch. If you're lucky, maybe one of the spade connectors has just fallen off. Note: Make sure you put the spades back on the right lugs on the switch (there are 3). I think if you put it on the wrong one, the light goes OFF when you put ON the handbrake.

Note that the engine must be running to get a proper indication.

Cheers.

Ian R>

Ok I was going to have another look at it this weekend.

Last weekend I lifted up the sill carpet by the floor & by the door. There seems to be a sort of cardboard cover under the carpet, over the sill, screwed in at the bottom & the top.

Although it was only a quick look, it seemed like I'd have to take the seat out to get the carpet & "cardboard" cover out to get to the handbrake mechanism/connectors.

Surely this can't be right!

Any suggestions?

Hooligan at heart.

The seats were out when I did mine, the inner sill is fibreglass, I'm not sure what is ex factory, but I replaced mine with pop rivets, though self tappers could be used. Either way I suspect there is enough access just by pulling the carpet back at the front of the inner sill which has access holes cut in it, for seat belt, hand brake adjustment and the switch.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Good point.. I'm not sure what it's like ex-factory, but I found 2 cutouts (rectangular holes) in my sill for access. I don't know if there were covers on them at some stage. Also, I've had that sill carpet replaced, so I don't know if there was lots of glue holding down the original carpet. Previously, when I've had to remove original carpet (e.g. from the boot), I've managed to tear chunks out of it... so be careful :)

Cheers.

Ian.

I have a similar issue, I have the hole in the sill so i can get access. but for some raeson someone has cut the wires :) and they have cut them very short so it will be a pain to solder in new ones. bugger

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

There are two access holes on my '89 and they look original, one to get to the handbrake adjustment and one to get to the lever and switch itself. You don't need to remove the seat as long as it's all the way back, access is just below the lever itself. As previously mentioned the engine MUST be running to get the correct indication as the warning light is also connected to the low vacuum sensor which will hold the light on regardless of lever postion if there's no vacuum !

If you need to adjust the switch just gently bend the lever, don't lossen the two screws as there's nuts on the back you can't get to :)

Martyn :)