free hit
counters
Boot floor and engine cover reflective foil - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OwenGT3

Boot floor and engine cover reflective foil

Hi,

My heat reflective foil needs renewing, not only is it crumbling, but some new would really improve the look under the boot floor. Can you buy this stuff from some where other than Lotus? Although I don't know if they even sell it as a seperate item, or is there something else to use? Can you use normal foil with normal adhesive? Apparently lakeland foil is thicker than most normal foils.

Anyone done theirs, replaced the foil?

Owen.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was able to buy a roll of foil similar to that used in oven baking dishes. It's .02mm thick and the roll was 35m (yeah heaps) x 41cms. Much thicker than the chocolate stuff there originally. I had to use a high temp contact adhesive which I trowelled on with a toothed scraper.

lotusicpumpandaccbracket30-3-07022.jpg

I got enthusiastic and covered those other heat fiberglass shields too which had been painted in silver.

Also used it to dress up the edge of the side plates on the C pillar. I had noticed whenever they were off that there was obvious rubbing and paint damage.

Lotusprogress25-5-07003.jpg

Edited by DanR

DanR

CarbonfibreEnginelidundersidefinish.jpg

finishedcarbonfibreenginelid.jpg

Hi Owen I put 3M reflevtive strips on my carbon fibre engine lid. Its held up really well. I put on new rubbers, cleaned up the metal heat sheild and put new polished stainless fixtures in to replace the original manky rusty ones. The jobs a carrot !

Let us know how you get on. :2guns:

350.gifNo.23

Hi,

Well while I had the car off the road to do the cambelt I did do the boot floor and engine cover. I bought 100mm x 45m length of alloy foil, cost

Edited by OwenGT3

Nice job Owen. Likin' the gold stuff, I wonder if the JPS F1 cars had it in the engine bay?

heat reflective foil

FYI too, it's not heat reflective foil, it's RF suppressive foil. You want heat out of the engine bay, not stuck inside it!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi,

That would explain the engine cover being painted black over the foil. If I find that it's getting hotter than normal I will scotch it then paint it matt black. I did keep a eye on the temperature yesterday and it didn't seem no higher than normal, and I didn't even have heat on in the cabin. At least it all new and has improved the cover a hell of a lot.

The boot floor pan was always unpainted foil, so it's just the engine cover if painting is required.

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3