free hit
counters
Coolant - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rogerch

Coolant

I'm about to flush the coolant, no real reason, no problems I'll just know when it was last done when I've done it. I'll get the radiator pressure checked, may as well.

I've had no overheating problems, even in our heat (Australia), fans working well. I'm passed skiing so it's not going to the snow.

So what sort of coolant should I be using, cold is not a problem it's never going to freeze in Coffs Harbour, it's an all alloy engine, so any recomendations?

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've always been a fan of this stuff. You will need to completly flush the system with water before using it. Not sure you can get it over there though.

Edited by davegtst

Mono-ethylene glycol

I used castrol for mine - last time my car was C serviced by Sinclairs the coolant was obviously changed and it was a lime green instead of a dark blue - soon after my radiator spring leaks everywhere (co-incidence ? who knows) when I took the rad off to replace it I also drained the Chargecooler circuit which had........you guessed it - blue coolant in it so I don't know if this had any detremental effect.

As a result I purged the lot and flushed it through and through and re-filled it with the blue stuff from castrol and distilled water.

facebook = [email protected]

I have the Extreme Green Coolant myself because it was recommended by the factory but you're right jon, you can't mix them full stop. Suicidal for the car system apparantly (don't know why)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Yeah - the prob is draining the coolant on the engine side doesn't drain the chargecooler as well - so it's easy to cross contaminate (although you'd think they know that, afterall I'm a mere idiot and I know that !)

facebook = [email protected]

I intend using WaterWetter and distilled water at my next service.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

Like you, I won't be experiencing sub zero temperatures, but if you are, add a little antifreeze.

It can be hard to find in Australia, but the Elan Factory stocks it (you can order by email)

As previously mentioned, be careful mixing different types. I've heard some mixes congeal into a kind of jelly.

Cheers.

Ian (Sydney)