free hit
counters
Check your aluminium water pipe - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kyliesmith.com

Check your aluminium water pipe

While tackling the slave cylinder issue, I couldnt help but notice the rusty T-section that feeds water to turbos and header tank etc, I thought it was the clamp digging into the hose causing a leak, but putting my finger behind the aluminium water pipe that was rubbing against a metal clip there was quite a little seep going on eek!!. So that was it off with the clips stuffed the pipes with what ever I could find and have a closer look at the pipe. Closer look there is actually 5 deep holes additional to the leak all over the pipe, mainly where the rubber hose connects onto pipe. So these also looked to go at any moment shock horror. Instead of weilding up the patches I figured this will only deteriate again, so I am sending this Dad to re make it in SS. I dont care if its it heavy I want it to last!! So while in there got in with the brush and got busy with the rust remover. (light blue spots) These areas turn blackish. And yeah will have to be careful to bleed the system when finished in the hope I havent created an airlock!

But I just wanted to share this so you can check yours when your in there next.. Having the right amount of water in our cars is really important!

aluhoseend.jpg

Aluhosefourholesfound.jpg

waterhoseremovedbluerustremoverappl.jpg

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Had the same problem, the holes occurred just under where the hose pushes on. Not sure what causes it, its like some residue collects there which rots the pipe. Perhaps when its in contact with the air? Previous owners had used green antifreeze - I'm now on the pink.

My holes weren't as big and I used leak fix resin, sanded down and its been fine.

cheers

Mikey

If water is trapped against it and the alumiunim is not anodised it will start to rot very slowly - it also suffers highly from electrlytic action.

Lotus found that out with the Elise floor pan where water got trapped in underneath the rubber floor covers and rotted it away !!

2 of my ali joiners have done this on the chargecooler connection which is why I only use stainless steel joiners now.

Your best bet is stainless - don't worry about the weight, wear 1 less sock or something to counter act it - hehe

facebook = [email protected]

Hi Paul yeah same here. I hardly post pics of usual stuff done to the car, but felt as though I should share this. Could save people some much bigger bills down the line ! But yeah theres an arms list of things needing to be replaced and nowing me it will get done but not all once. Theres some corrosion at the radiator end fixings as well but nothing leaking that I can see. I am just thankful one of the PO's before me had the sense to recore it :lol:

350.gifNo.23

Kylie, there is nothing wrong with your car - as long as you not just look to close into it.... . :lol:

PS. start in the front with the headlight inspection, go over the bumper fixings to several rattles under the dash , than to some critical points into door sealing, roof, gear leaver, rear bulkhead , timing belt and so on... . An running restoration of our cars can need the rest of your lifetime :P

But that relationship is the way we love , ...is it ?!

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

"...The SS pipe as expected weighs a ton ..."

Hey, not a problem -as long as the driver isn't an 1.90 m tall 100kg lump of natural power :(

PS. nice piece of work !

' i know i know ' , so there is enough reserve for tune up, like water intercooler , high-fi surround systems and all the other gadgets ... .

PS. "an real race car begins with the driver design" -that's fact , and always makes me worry if i look into an mirror...