free hit
counters
Revs don't go down after replacing alternator - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stefan

Revs don't go down after replacing alternator

Recently I have replaced the alternator and since then a strange problem occurs.

When I press the clutch pedal the revs don't go down and sometimes the revs even go up. The same happens when I press the throttle when in neutral the revs stay up. Strangely when I stop the engine and restart it the revs are normal.

The most likely problem would be a throttle cable that's a bit stuck, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

The new alternator is a bit more powerfull. Maybe this has got nothing to do with it and maybe even replacing the alternator isn't causing the problem, but the problem started after I replaced it.

Does anybody know what could cause this problem?

Thanks,

Stefan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

i just had to spend 30 mins sorting mine out as my new cable retainer was a little tight and would stick on the throttle return, so i stripped it cleaned it and put some copper grease on the parts and then threaded the cable through and re tightened the retainer, the revs were normal again, it just gota little sticky there.

I think the likely cause is resting on the carbs/linkages when working on the Alternator! You can prove its not the alternator by pulling the small brown lead, which will kill its output.

I would be looking for :

throttle/choke cables too short - they can get jacked up on the ferrules at their ends.

possible air leaks

possible bent linkage (seems unlikely)

possible bent choke linkage between carbs

cheers Steve