free hit
counters
TOYO RA1 Tyres on S1 / S2 Esprit - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rgh0

TOYO RA1 Tyres on S1 / S2 Esprit

I have just fitted a set of Toyo RA1 tyres to my S1 Esprit. These are modern track day style tyres with a sticky soft compound and great grip. They are V rated for speed.

Front 7 inch wheels 205 x 55 - 14

Rear 71/2 ich wheels 225 x 50 - 14

The rolling diameter is 582 mm for both tyres

Ground clearance on my car with full tanks is 115mm at front under the radiator and at the rear under the cross member under the gear box. This is approximately 35mm less than standard but it seems quite acceptable for normal use. I thought I may have needed to raise the suspension a little but so far this does not seem necessary.

I had 205 x 60 and 225 x 60 Pirrelli P6 on the car before they were about 15 years old. The ride is better than these and the grip is orders of magnitude better.

I thought I may need to stiffen up the suspension a little to get the best out of these tyres but the lower ride height seems to control roll well. I will continue to explore the handling over the next few months before I decide on what I want to do with the suspension. Would love to have the new Lotus developed suspension to try them with (are you listening Lotus). Does any one sell shocks with adjustable spring platforms for the Esprit?

cheers

Rohan

post-4529-1213499670.jpg

post-4529-1213499687.jpg

post-4529-1213499733.jpg

Edited by Rohan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Rohan, hows it going? Wow your going to have some fun with these tyres they are soooo great!!!. Just to confirm how good they are I put some on my 89 Turbo 225x15 and 255x16's and I could all of a sudden drop a good five seconds off my lap time at the local track. I was running as little as 25psi for track and 30 for round home as a guide for the weight of my car. So I can confirm they are really good value. I plan on replacing my Pirellis with Toyo next month but a toss up between T1R and RA1.

The only thing to be aware of because they are stickier they will get every loose stone stuck to the tire and flung out against your paintwork at road speeds! I noticed this straight away and for ever touching up the wheel wells with paint and surround areas :lol: Also tire wear is extremely high. But if its a weekender you wont notice too much. And lastly the rain, I know you guys dont much rain over there esp in the north but aqua planing gives a whole new meaning with the large block tread so be super careful. I am real tempted to put RA1s on the 350 but it could be hellish in the wet if I get caught out. Let me know how you get on.

rearviewofRA1s.jpg

NewRA1sfitted.jpg

350.gifNo.23

Good find.

Despite being smaller outside diameter they still fill the wheel arches well.

Kylie's got a point. What tyre pressures are you running?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I use sticky tyres on mine and you do have to watch your driving in the wet. This, of course, goes without saying for any car but the amount of stories I've heard starting with 'I was in second gear on a roundabout in the wet.....'

Sticky tyres need heat in them to get the most out of them and when they are hot really come alive, you would not believe how much more grip they give after warming properly. Trouble is the only place you can warm them without people thinking you're a Loon is on a track but if you can find a quiet winding country road you will have fun.

Enjoy.

So how they work?

Can you post more details in how they are in comparison to a normal tyres?

I prefer to have soft compound even if I'm not going to use the car for track!!! Just to be more sticked on the road...as I'm used to drive with A048's on my Exige...

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Lotus Esprit S2 JPS #27 -restoration process-

If you are use to 48's then you are already there as they are pretty much the dogs bo11ocks of track tyres, them and R888's, D01J's DZ02's etc

Affectively, a brisk drive to warm them up on -not- cold tarmac and they become more responsive. Only way to see this is a couple of laps at a track while pushing the car into the corners really. This will increase the wear a lot though so start thinking about your wallet!