free hit
counters
new car - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi folks

i pick up my 82 s3 on thursday and will start with a basic service (oil, filter, plugs, look at the aircleaner; anything else?).

what's the recommendation of oil grade and type?

will i be able to get plugs on the high street/at halfords, and ditto oil filter?

any help and advice welcomed!

i'll also need a car cover; any opinions/recommendations?

cheers in advance

simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the front trunnions are in good nick and not crusty with old grease. Charge them up with EP90 gear oil (using a grease gun).

Carefully inspect all belts for wear or damage. Also have a look at all the brake pads to make sure they are not delaminating with age (was car in regular use before you got it?). Have a close look at your tyres, maybe have a look at datestamps to see how old they are.

enjoy

Steve

Well done! You didnt go for the 85 one in the end? Glass roof? Post some pics when you can!!!

All the best

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Fuel pipes?

Just replace, fiddling around and checking brittle old pipes can cause problems anyway (as my chum with a crispy Elite will confirm)

Edited by britten_mark

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Hi Simon, looking forward to pics!

I'd check the clutch fluid and brake fluid, and even consider flushing them with new fluid.

Fuel filter and (as said) give the fuel lines a real hard look at and replace if needed (or just replace anyway).

Iain

Edited by iainskea

Andy's right, use Castrol Edge 10/60, Mobil 1 20/50 both synthetic. These are the 2 oils recommended by Lotus (I think there's a Valvolene 20/50 as well).

I bought Mobil 1 cause I couldn't see any Edge then found out they had 20 litres behind the counter but just don't display it!! DOH!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Thanks folks. these are from the dealer, i'll post some more once i've got it home and clean!

post-4311-1213604349.jpgpost-4311-1213604336.jpg

questions:

is the 20w50 oil approved for long term use? i plan a dual oil change, and the 20w50 would be a cheaper option for short term use and flushing!

what is the oil capacity?

will i be able to get a filter on the high street, or do i need to mail order it?

do i need a special kind of grease gun for the trunnions? i can't see oil staying for long in mine!

fuel lines; i guess the thing to do is buy a length of hose? what's the diameter/rating?

for flushing brake/clutch fluid, is a vacuum rig necessary? i've never flushed a system before! i'd like to do it at some stage so advice welcome.

i didn't go for the overpriced '85; i do prefer the cleaner lines of the early s3, and the mrs didn't like the glass roof. for some reason it felt smaller even though the glass roof is thinner; either way i'll have to find myself space in there. the other reason for wanting an 85 was to get the later front brake setup for future upgrade potential, but i couldn't pass up this one when i saw it so now i love the '82, far better than the '85!

anyway, roll on thursday!

cheers

simon

Hi Simon

As Kimbers says, 20W50 was the original approved viscosity by Lotus so no probs running that.

Be careful with Filters. The factory one has a one way valve in it to retain some of the oil in the top of the engine to reduce wear on start up. A lot of badged aftermarket ones don't have this. I'd always go for an official Lotus one, I don't think they're that expensive

Nice looking car!

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Fuel pipes...use Goodridge stainless braided hoses..Think Automotive in Isleworth will make you up a set whilst you wait..they're great for all automotive plumbing, brakes, fuel etc. They're on-line, too...The trunnions are designed for 80EP transmission oil..a Wanner type grease gun deals with this quite well, but you have to drain it afterwards to avoid a workshop oil slick!!...or you could go down the Hilly route and fit some replacement aftermarket kit..he had a thread on the subject a while back. Flushing out brake lines is simply done by opening the bleed valves and using the pedal to pump fluid through from the reservoir, useful to have an acolyte to assist whilst you crawl about checking until the fluid comes through clean. This is quite important, as the fluid is hygroscopic and the absorbed water not only degrades performance, but also causes the inside of the master and slave cylinders to rust!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

where are think automotive? i work in isleworth so that's dead handy!

as for the flushing, i guessed it would be something like this. do you open the bleed nipples on all slaves at once, or do a corner at a time (1 acolyte vs 4 i guess!)

i'll try to find hilly's thread about the trunnions

cheers

simon

Simon, contact Opie Oils for oil, we get a discount. You can find them here: http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...p?showuser=1287

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

as for the flushing, i guessed it would be something like this. do you open the bleed nipples on all slaves at once, or do a corner at a time (1 acolyte vs 4 i guess!)

Best to do one at a time, don't open it and leave it open.

1) Open bleed nipple, then re-close but only finger tight,

2) place small bore pipe on bleed nipple and into a suitable container for waste fluid,

3) have person press pedal,

4) once pedal hits the floor (and thus fluid stops spurting out of pipe) tighten nipple to finger tight again,

5) have person release pedal

6) wait a couple if seconds

7) have person press pedal and return to 4)

Once there's no fluid to pump out, move to next bleed nipple and repeat (first bleed nipple will be most fluid).

Once it's all out, the process is very similar to put the new fluid in, but keep the fluid resevoir topped up, and start at the furthest bleed nipple from the pedal and you've completed each corner when the new fluid comes through with no air bubbles for a couple of pedal pumps worth. Tightening each bleed nipple fully once that one is done

Andy

Buy a pair of the narrowest & smallest shoes / trainers you can find that you can wear. :baby:

You've probably had the cambelt changed & the tensioner checked out - just peace of mind .....

Nice looking car, enjoy

i have a pair of the lowest profile shoes i can find already, and last night i was dreaming about taking the seat right out and forming one into the car out of high density foam to make the fullest possible use of the available space! anyone out there been down this route?

Nice looking example you have there.

Matt

ref:Hi Simon

'Be careful with Filters. The factory one has a one way valve in it to retain some of the oil in the top of the engine to reduce wear on start up. A lot of badged aftermarket ones don't have this. I'd always go for an official Lotus one, I don't think they're that expensive'

I topic that I think has been rasied a few times before, with various veiws, so sorry if its been done to death.

I think your right about the oil filters, However Lotus longer do the old filters with the valves. I was told by a Lotus engineer a while ago at one of the meets, that it is not really needed. However for years privious to this we've always been told that it is essential.

The newer filters are for the V8s that have the oil filter mounted screw side upwards, so there will always be a res of oil left in the filter, & the 4 pots have them mounted on the side, so the oil would normally drain out, if not fitted with this valve. I'd say having a bit of oil there to squert round on start up is a good thing, Hence why I now use the 'Fram' filters. They are identical to the orriginal Lotus ones down to the valves. How do I know this. Well, I know someone who has cut one of each open & compared them & seen it for myself.

Just my pennies worth.

Again nice find you have there. please, more photos.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus

For the brake fluid flush I would buy an Eezi-bleed. It has a bottle into which you put brake fluid. One pipe from the bottle goes to a cap you screw on your master cylinder reservoir and the other you connect to the air valve on your spare (handily located near the master cylinder on the Esprit). When you open the bleed nipple, the air pressure from your spare pumps the fluid out. Run until clean and repeat on next remembering to keep topping up the fluid.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

No, but my seats are probably as small (in terms of padding) as you can go- none. plain fibreglass seats, where the base of the seat touches the carpet, and the back is against the fire wall.

Andy

Any pictures of your seats available? no padding at all though sounds extreme! did you make them yourself?

The newer filters are for the V8s that have the oil filter mounted screw side upwards, so there will always be a res of oil left in the filter, & the 4 pots have them mounted on the side, so the oil would normally drain out, if not fitted with this valve. I'd say having a bit of oil there to squert round on start up is a good thing, Hence why I now use the 'Fram' filters. They are identical to the orriginal Lotus ones down to the valves. How do I know this. Well, I know someone who has cut one of each open & compared them & seen it for myself.

where can i get the fram filter? i've called a shop from the suppliers page on lew and he's quoted me 15 quid for the filter! i'd like to do the first change on thursday so don't really have time to wait for mail order...

cheers

simon

Hi simon

Always good to welcome another esprit owner (especially a g-car!)

With regards to your seats, many of the taller S1, 2 and 3 owners fit Lotus Elise seats! They give a good 3inches more head room and to the best of my knowledge fit straight in!!

Best you get checking ebay if you are tall! I am lucky as i am 6'2 and just squeeze in but any taller and i would have a problem! I just find that my arse doesn't fit the bolsters (they squeeze my bum into just one cheek!)

Enjoy your car mate - maybe catch you at one of the meetings!

Simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Congrats on your purchase mate.... looks fab...

As said.... CHECK YOUR FUEL LINES and replace them.....

Join Club LEF and you get discount Pipelines Motorsports on all fuel, water and brake lines as well as loads of other discounts.....

Simon

Chunky Lover