free hit
counters
Engine run backwards? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Glyn Harper

Engine run backwards?

I pushed my car backwards in my garage about 6 feet the other day while it was in second gear, so the engine will have spun backwards..

(The engine wasn't running at the time)

Is this likely to give me any issues?

I checked the cambelt, and everything looks ok.. that hasn't snapped!

And after all, I was only pushing it myself.

I can't start the engine at the moment as the wiring loom is in bits in the cabin, so I can't check.. but probably wise to throw the question open anyway.

Cheers,

Glyn.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

As far as I know there is no reason this will have damaged anything as there is no mechanical hook up to anything which prevents it doing this!!

the only thing I have heard - is that it can mess up the fins on the chargecooler impellor since they bend against the sides of the pump with the rotation.

Lou Senko

Austin, TX

more, more, more....

How did you physically manage to push the car in gear?!!!

The only thing I'm aware of is that if it happens while the engine is running (e.g. if you spin the car 180' without dipping the clutch) is that it can be slow to start since you'll have sucked the exhaust fumes back through the cylinders into the intake system.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

the only thing I have heard - is that it can mess up the fins on the chargecooler impellor since they bend against the sides of the pump with the rotation.

Ah, another reason to go electric, hadn't thought of that one before.

There's no oil going to be pumped round the engine while you're turning it backwards, but I can't see that will have caused any harm as it's such a small number of reverse rotations and not with the engine running.

If you have a spring loaded tensioner there is a small risk of it losing it's tension when the engine is turned backwards, if you get what i mean?!

As the cam belt is usually tight from the exhaust cam (trying to remember!!) to the crank pulley you can quickly check that run to see if its any slacker than usual.

Simple way to make sure all is ok is to turn the engine over by hand in the correct direction (could always push it forwards whilst in gear...!)

Not likely to have done any damage just from pushing it backwards, worth turning it by hand just to make sure though....

Thanks all.

Luckily, I do have an electric chargecooler pump already! Was just worried about things like the oil pump really.

I have the interior out of the car at the moment, and I'd pulled the gear lever down into second while I was removing some trim. As to how I managed to roll it in 2nd.. well, I probably just don't know my own strength! :baby:

I did think it was a little stiff, but I assumed the brakes had ceized a little as I haven't moved it for a while!

FIngers crossed it's ok.. I won't know until it's running again.. probably another month or so yet..

If you have a sprung loaded cam belt tensioner then definitely check the cam alignment as rotating the engine backwards unloads the belt tension and if unlucky can cause the the belt to jump the cam sprockets.

The inlet sprocket is less likely to jump due to the snubber, but there is nothing on the exhaust sprocket to stop the belt hopping over the teeth.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.