free hit
counters
Dummy Fuel Filler - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kyliesmith.com

Dummy Fuel Filler

I beleive the cover is glued shut but can be worked open from the rear with loads of care. Does the cover still have hinges attached at the front like the proper fuel filler side? Just need to know to see what parts list I am going to need to mount a power socket in there. Will take a little bit of work but I think it will be fantastic and great use of that space. I really miss the twin opening of the filler caps from my old car, have to really remember everytime I pull up at the service station. Of course my Audi filler is on the other side to keep me on my toes :baby:

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I fancy the old Porsche fillers... big chrome thing right in front of te wind screen. Even a dumb arse like me can get it right every time! :baby:

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

I am going to need to mount a power socket in there.

What a good idea!

So it is just a case of carefully breaking open the glued door as there is no catch?

Post up some pics pls.

I can see a remote charge socket coming soon.

Going Hybrid, eh?? :baby:

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Dito... sounds like a Wiki topic?

Lots of pics and a how to do it guide would be great!

RobC has done it on his 350. Apparently you can prise the cover off from the back. He has then put a magnetic cupboard fastener on to hold it shut. Underneath he has mounted a socket to connect to a charger.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

"...Going Hybrid, eh??..."

Yes JB, it's LEF evil-engineering time. Lots of space for those Degussa-Lithium cells in the engine bay :thumbup:

? you know what i mean? the energy packs we have seen in the team RED-Exige ... . Cool stuff !

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

update: It was an boring Sunday -and the pictures from the new Tesla Roadster inspired me... .

OK, and Kylie with her question about it! So as i have got all parts for free it was just an type of 'Mac Gyver -creativity' . Looks a bit silly now (as always if i try t ad some gadgets for free..) . What i need is an fuse (to protect it against vandalism!) and some type of furniture door trap, or an magnet for the fuel flap. All other is installed now and works.

will post pictures tonight, and yes i know it needs some refinement (*as i had installed there an fuel filler for my engine preheater system some years ago) -that means there was an big hole to cover..

update2:

i taped the painted body edges and cutted the polyurethane glue spots. Some oil for the hinge on front side and i can open the flap again.

The riveted/glued white plastic covers an big hole from an previous installation*. The charge socket is an military type power socked -with sealed cap, but i have to use it with some sort of "adapter". It's just that i don't want to convert an battery charger specially for one car. Most chargers have battery-clamps on the end, so it has to be simple. I can carry that adapter in the boot, and if i want to charge the battery i hope that i find it just in time... . An 20 AMP fuse should be good enough for an short-cut protection. Special point is that i can open the circuit without any tools, if the car is parked outside of protected areas and does not need battery charging.

http://www.imagenetz.de/fb94074e7/BILD0230.JPG.html

BILD0230.JPG

http://www.imagenetz.de/fa3be44f7/BILD0228.JPG.html

BILD0228.JPG

http://www.imagenetz.de/ffb5ff096/BILD0232.JPG.html

BILD0232.JPG

PS. can someone gave me an hint what type of relay socket i have found behind the rear relay station. wiring colors as visible in the picture. It was no relay on it... !?

Edited by G

Gunter.. why do I get the feeling that you take your Esprit completely apart every weekend on Friday night and have it fully re-assembled by Monday morning? :lol:

Nice job, by the way!

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

I'm an untouched young man, without talent to attract nice young girls...

Any more questions :lol:

Hi Gunter and Kylie,

When doing this mod, make sure that this area is completely water tight otherwise you'll be replacing your petrol tank over a spare weekend!

Good idea though, be sure to write an install guide!

Dave Walters

Gunter nice work your ahead of me. To secure the door I was talking to RobC a few months back about how he did his. He just used magnets same as those you use on kitchen cupboards etc. They seem strong enough to hold them closed. We were hankering over the idea of mounting the smallest transformer we could find behind the filler cavity so that way we can do away with the trickle charger and if we go away for weekends and accidently flatten the battery we can plug in from any power source. Jump starting a flat battery will stuff the alternator in no time. We got all the plugs home and starting tinkering but I threw a woman hissy fit as it looked a little bit over the top and the little unit is quite heavy, I was thinking nahh so not necessary. So project was on hold. But I am now leaning to the idea of just running the wires same as you Gunter and mod the trickle charger to be kept handy by the car in garage.

Dave yeah definately will be making it all water tight in there. Running my hand around blind under there from the boot I didnt think there was even a closed filler neck?? Part diagram from 98MY just has the tank which is covered. We wont be using a car lighter type plug and socket either it will be quite trick and a clean looking finish. Will do a write up too :respect:

350.gifNo.23

Gunter.. why do I get the feeling that you take your Esprit completely apart every weekend on Friday night and have it fully re-assembled by Monday morning? :)

Nice job, by the way!

[quote name='G

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Patrick: by reading the word 'frost' my fantasy goes around two remarkable points....yeah great, lets do that! :respect:

(PS. I'm in the university 'summer holidays' now...)

@Kylie: Yes , to add an massive power socket (probably also useful for jump-start of an dead battery...) it would need a lot of lamination work. Especially as the sockets have an dominant 'build-in' deepness (for example the FIA approved power sockets on race-cars). An transformer inside the car, as you say would also add to much weight. So all what is useful is in fact an normal sealed power socket.

And yes, the point with water that can pass the construction is important. My plan is to change the silly plastic with an suitable sheet of aluminum. I can that build in in an much stiffer way. The possible tank rust does not fear me in the moment, as they are already rusted on both sides. I count the months they do last.... .

The charge process works now. Maybe i transform/modify an battery charger to accept only this power socket type. It does look a bit 'unambitious' in the moment with those fling open ends. But that means i have to carry the battery charger with me, if I'm on an longer journey. In the way it is now all types of charger systems do work... .

What makes me worry most is the open/close mechanism of the fuel flap. If i use simple magnets, or push-buttons from clothings or other stuff it could still be opened from outside(by everyman!). The system is fused and can be set "out of order", if it is my wish -but what i like is the spring loaded door trap as original. An electric button/relay with this magnetic actuation door trap is not generally important. But the emergency opener inside (the lever with the 'fuel door' writing on it) does attract me.

I wish i could get one of that from an old/ crashed car !?

Edited by G

next "evolution":

http://www.imagenetz.de/fd4e87e7b/BILD0234.JPG.html http://www.imagenetz.de/ff62565a1/BILD0233.JPG.html

BILD0234.JPG BILD0233.JPG

with a bit luck the 'hook' strip can hold the fuel door down above 200km/h

I positioned it under the front side edge, because it is just enough force to hold it down. And if you push harder on the lever that is the up-stop from the flap it lifts some mm. It is enough to lift the rear edge up with two fingers. The sound of an dismantled Velcro-type strip is noticeable. So it should be tight .... .

Edited by G