free hit
counters
Renault transmission seals - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Renault transmission seals

Hi Guys... Dave and I have replaced the right side axle seal in the renault box now 3 times... and it still leaks... I'm getting extremely frustrated with this... has anybody got any suggestions?

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it definately coming from the outer seal?

Not via the O-ring or roll pins?

What was the surface of the end of the driveshaft like? I know one of mine had to be more than just 'cleaned up'. More like re-surfaced with wet and dry and repolished.

• Gold FFM

I echo the point about O-rings.

They should be changed every time the seals are replaced and after fitting, the roll pins should be sealed with silicone sealant.

My Lotus main-agents failed to replace the O rings at each of two seal replacements and oil drips continued to be excessive. I found this out by buying all the bits for a third replacement intending to do the work myself, and noticed that on previous invoices there were no O rings mentioned.

In the end, the dealers did the work for me for the cost of the parts (less a further discount). They even replaced the oil free-of-charge.

The effect was immediate and some six weeks later, everything continues to be as dry as a bone.

Mark,

Ditto on the o-rings and silicone. Also check the area on the half shaft that comes in contact with the seal and see if it has a noticeable wear groove in it.

Also are you sure you have it set to the correct depth, do you have the seal insert tool?

1995 S4s

With the Quaife limited slip diff there is no groove for the o-ring since the groove can be a weak point. So you have to lap the inside of the driveshaft in front of the spline (where the o-ring would otherwise push into) with silicone and allow it to cure before filling the gearbox with oil and running the engine. When I told the engineer who was fitting the gearbox about this, he said there had already been a service bulletin from Lotus to use silicone like this in addition to replacing the o-ring.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

AWESOME!!! So it's not the seal! it's leaking at the roll pin.. now I understand... and yes it has the quaiffe LSD.. Finally.. I understand what's happening. should be an easy solve now... after all, Dave and I have mastered the removal of the seal now.. hehehe.

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my gearbox, some days a large pool of oil would be under the gearbox depending how the driveshaft end up parking. in the end I cleaned the whole box down with white spirits, then cleaned it off with car shampoo and then hosed it down, Once dried i really cleaned the drive shafts up and put a massive blob of silicone sealer over the roll pins, never had a problem since (touches wood!)

DSCF0005_1.jpg

DSCF9996_1.jpg

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!! We will attempt this on friday night... fingers crossed!

If you have the Quaife LSD then there's almost certainly no groove on the differential ouput shafts for the o-ring (only the very early Quaifes had them). So there's no point trying to fit an o-ring since it will just slide along the output shaft towards the diff rather than into the driveshaft when you push the driveshaft home. As I say, lap the inside of the driveshaft instead, in place of the o-ring, and onto the roll pins.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Yip I can confirm its possibly the orings not sealing/seated properly thus oil will be coming out the pins. Of course just clean up the oil leak wait a few hours or over night then check to see where its coming from. Ive just been down this road myself and just patched up the rollpins as Owen has done full of sealant goop!! Ultimately to do a proper job you need to pull the shafts out again and redo the o-rings to stop it leaking. They are a nightmare

350.gifNo.23
If you have the Quaife LSD then there's almost certainly no groove on the differential ouput shafts for the o-ring (only the very early Quaifes had them). So there's no point trying to fit an o-ring since it will just slide along the output shaft towards the diff rather than into the driveshaft when you push the driveshaft home. As I say, lap the inside of the driveshaft instead, in place of the o-ring, and onto the roll pins.

Actually many of the Quaife differentials here in the states do have the o-ring groove. IIRC it started with the ones sourced from Michael's motorsports.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album