free hit
counters
High coolant/oil temperature - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
neal

High coolant/oil temperature

As we all now the the stock coolant system on the V8 runs at the limit.

This is proving a particular problem for me on track days in the summer. I still have the stock radiator but plan to replace this with a three core upgrade. What options are available (I know of the PUK one), how much do they cost and what experience do you have of the improvement?

I'm also a bit perplexed about the coolant warning light. According to the service notes, it start flashing to indicate a high coolant temperature of 115' (this is what happens to me) and lights solid at 118' (mine doesn't go that far). However, my temperature gauge never goes above 105'. I know the gauge underreads a little - comparing it with my OBDII laptop the gauge reads 97-98' when the coolant temperature is at 100' - but not enough to explain why the warning light starts flashing.

In the owners manual it says the warning light can also be triggered by high oil temperature but there's no mention of this in the service notes and I don't know of any oil temperature sensor on the engine. However, when the light starts flashing it's always after a fast high g corner and not after a long fast straight. This would tie in with the oil temperature if I am getting oil starvation under high g... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

look close on your oil change plug, there is an temp switch with wiring on it...

radiator upgrade:

R&B wants 1280 Euros (incl. German tax !) and Marcus wants 1090 Euros (without tax !) for the same product.

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Hi Neal,

You

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

"....You

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

[quote name='G

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I think that there was a fairly recent mention on Esprit Engineering having one available, but I do not remember pricing.

They are also available from the States (Viking Motorsports), but with packaging/shipping it works out quite expensive - approx. 1800USD plus import duties. This does provide a new frame and 3 low profile SPAL fans. The contact at Viking is Harry ( [email protected] ).

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica