free hit
counters
Rev limiter? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trevsked

Rev limiter?

Guys,

My 81 dry sump car seems to hit the limiter at an indicated 5750rpm, is this normal? Can I adjust it as the info I have says 210bhp at 6250rpm. how do I check and adjust?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The rev limiter is a pretty crude device..bob weights built in to the rotor arm; once the centrifugal force increases sufficiently, the weight moves far enough to short circuit the sparks to ground. So the point at which this happens depends on the springs and the adjustment of the contacts. Springs weaken with age, so a lower rev limit after all these years is to be expected. You could tweak the spring tension up a bit, but it would be groping in the dark and you could easily overdo it. I've fitted an aftermarket electronic revlimiter, you can set it precisely..it was very useful whilst running in! There are quite a few suitable candidates,a google search should come up with something you like.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Molemot,

Thanks for that. I will have a look and see what there is and run it past you on here.

Trevor.

Got my car back from Moorland Jones who reset the float height and fitted a new shut off needle in the rear carb and this has made a world of difference to the car. Now revs through 6500rpm and hasn't yet hit the limiter so guess the problem was a different one.

Trevor.