free hit
counters
Head and Cam tube assy - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Head and Cam tube assy

Ok so I bought all new studs for the head as per the parts list. The screws that hold the cam tubes to the head I got 4 studs as per 40.05A item 32 and I got 16 off Torx bolt. It not so clear where the studs go as the drawing only shows the pos of 1? Im guessing 1 at each end towards the front on each cam tube and the rest are held with the torx bolts? With me anyone??? lol

On the inlet side I got 9 off studs item 046 same drawing but I got 11 tapped holes so am I shot of studs?

Any info would be welcome

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure yours should be the same as the newer block shown below. Both cam towers are the same with 1 stud at each end and 8 torx bolts. There is also one dowel locator pin for each cam tower.

enginerebuild0076.jpg

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Thanks Jim. Wonder why Lotus used one stud each end and why they used the Torx bolts? Only thing from your picture that I can see is different is the holes for the inlet manifold. You have 9 holes and I have 11 tapped holes. The drawing in my parts list shows 11 but in the description item 46 stud it calls for 9 off required which is what I have. I am going to look at my inlet manifold to see how many holes there are in that, maybe 2 of these holes arent used or used for soemthing else?

I reckon they're purely used to locate the towers whilst you fit the torx. For various reasons I'm currently using all torx heads.

NB - I assume you did not buy your torx from Lotus. They are currently priced at something like

Edited by 910Esprit

I think the studs are only there so you can drop nuts or washers down into the engine...! Not that I have, but it always worries me.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

JAE in the States sells a nice ARP 12 pt. replacement for the Torx bolts. Tho' once you've pony'ed up for the Torx drivers you could just as well stick with them, I suppose. Could help the next guy... :whistle:

Hey Buddsy,

Not sure what you're seeing but in the pic there are 10 threaded holes on both the intake and exhaust sides and one hole for the dowel pin on the right end for a total of 11 holes each. Again, I'm not sure how the earlier 9XX engines are set up.

Molemot, you hit the nail on the head about the nuts/washers. When I was building this engine I actually dropped one of those washers and it went right down the hole for the oil pickup pipe and into the screened oil pickup in the bottom of the sump. That was a lot of fun to get out..... :whistle:

1995 S4s

Yep I did buy all the torx bolts and other bits from Lotus cant remeber how much they were but not cheap!!! Every thing is making more sence now, still dont know why they used the torx head maybe to stop people undoing them when they were replacing the head gasket and loosing the shims??? As far as the 11 holes and 9 studs I got for the inlet manifold, I looked at my inlest manifold and there is 9 holes in that. Im guessing maybe the 2 two spare holes were for annother aplication? maybe for the N/A or even the Jenson?

Jim the 9 or 11 Im talking about is on the side not where the cam tubes fit, but where the manifolds go, I will put a pic to explain better tomorrow

Well done Simon!! I was trying to type the laural and hardy theam tune but cant do it!!!!

I was going to put my head on today but when putting the valves back in I have found I have 6 (3 sets) of valve collets for the inlet valve which are exhaust valve collets and are sloppy as ....the ladies who hanground out side the waterfront on King street & Rouen Road!!! Exhaust ones the 7mm ones are about 1.40 each 6mm inlet ones are