free hit
counters
well I almost finished the rad today - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr.oogieboogie

well I almost finished the rad today

hello everone. well i almost finished the rad, bloody rain. i would have had it piped up ready to bleed, rad is in (very hard job to do with no help and just axle stands a trolley jack and much big bollo**s i think trimming the rad tray is a good idea, very hard to turn 3 rads and 3 fans and lift past the tray holders. pissed off as i could have had it running today. still there is always tomorrow. i can see why it takes so long and costs so much in labour. bit of a poor design i think.

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's justa very hard job to do on your own - personally some cut outs on the radiator cowl and some additional strengthening beams if needed would have been the better idea but there ya go.

These cars (is ANY car ?) were not designed to really be worked on by Joe bloggs in his garage at home - if you have a workshop, lift and 2 guys it's probably a lot easier.

I had my old man helping me and I used 2 threaded bars to wind the thing into place, it is a pig of a job though if you haven't done it before but thats why I made the alterations to it so that if I do it again I know I can have it in and out in a jiffy.

facebook = [email protected]

yes that is what i have tried to do, but im struggling to get to the bottom hose, grinder in the morning as that side is glass fiber over metal

once i can access that i can pipe it and bleed it, so 3 - 4 hours i think

I think it is they are designed to go in as a one piece fitted unit from new and no-one thought they might need to comeout again to be replaced. I can confirm that it is a b**ch of a job even with 2 of you and a ramp!!

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Right, the lower hose is best fitted with the side bolt slackened a bit. Thats the bolt that clamps the radiator bracket to the fibreglass cowl.

If you look carefully there might juuuuuuust not be enough room to push the hose on which is what I found out, slacken that bolt and the cowling springs back to it's original shape and allows you to get the hose on - that should do the trick.

facebook = [email protected]

Good on you Pete. Percevere mate. Some jobs really are just to much for words.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

well the rad is in and piped up, car has been started, charge cooler is almost air free, however the temp is getting hot not sure if its got an air lock, have bled the rad at the front seems ok. any ideas anyone would be great. after a very short run, temp is still getting high, however the power steering seems non existent, so possibly the belt if this does the water pump as well

Edited by mr.oogieboogie

Hi Pete, have you tried bleeding the cooling system with the car jacked up at the back. I read somewhere that because of the long front to back piping this is the best way to be completly free of air locks. This way the air can move freely out of the sytem.

Mark

PS, sitting praying 'cos my car is currently down the road from you having it's MOT!

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

hello mark, just seen the guys at the garage pointing and rubbing their hands together whilst looking through cruise brouchers. not a good sign, already jacked the car up, so going to get under it and check the belt

Left my car at the garage for MOT, came back an hour later and they hadn't done it 'cos they couldn't get the bonnet open to find the chassis number! How this stops you doing the MOT is beyond me. I'm off to Alans Test Centre now.

Mark

sorry to hear that Mark, always found them to be reliable. well i looked where the pas belt is and the belt was off and there were no bolts holding it in place no wonder the car was getting hot as no water being pumped around the engine, strange as i now have both the abs the parking brake and the low pad lights on, although there were not on when the rad went, strange, just teh trim bits to bolt on tomorrow and i should be mobile

Good luck Winners .You have a fantastic car.Cheers Mike

Good luck Winners .You have a fantastic car.Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike, my little problem of MOT is nothing compared to what you've been through, hope it's all sorted.

Can't get in until tomorrow morning so we'll have to wait.

Mark

Edited by winners