free hit
counters
Brakes again! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
robertcosta

Brakes again!

Hi All,

After having meticulously refurbished the rotors, calipers, SS brake lines etc etc the braking is still crap!

I don't mean there is anything wrong, the car stops and all that but I can't believe it feels like I haven't done anything.

The only thing I haven't played with is the pad compound. I'm using greenstuff but I think its too hard at cold temps.

Still, over all, disappointing :lol:

I understand 4 pot calipers from a Toyota Hilux fit the solid rotors but are quite heavy......

I'm aware of the Wilwood upgrade but I would ask those that have done it to comment.

Robert

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone :-(

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have the hi-spec PNM front upgrade kit with 3 sets of different pads for sale at the moment - it may be an option...

PM for more info.

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

I believe there's a Cressida or Supra from the 80's with bigger front discs that are a simple bolt on. I think the calipers also cross fit. If not making a bracket for your current calipers not be too difficult.

DanR

Personally I'd try some alternative / softer pads first, that'll modify the initial cold 'bite' much more than anything else, unless your problem is overheating due to extreme use. And be a lot lot cheaper. Don't forget those rear puppies like to work a fair bit too.

Check your Servo and your manifold vacuum - i.e is the car correctly tuned (assuming you do not have a vac pump?). The standard brakes should not be crap on the G cars.

cheers Steve

Roger,

I think that Hispec kit is for the Toyota front end post 1985 , mine is the triumph front end. If I'm wrong then we can talk!

Tony,

I don't drive it hard at all. I may try different pads. Thankfully they are the same as the front pads of my Elise :lol: and I'm running Ferodo DS2500's in that.

Someone suggested the EBC type for the Esprit but I think they are too hard at low temps.

Steve,

Yes all is within specs. Its just a bit disappointing. Maybe I'm not treating it as an 80's car :)

Robert

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone :-(

1977 S1 Esprit, in bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The parts falling from this car are examples of the finest British craftsmanship”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

There are upgrades available for the Triumph set-up, Simonf has APs on his (purchased like that) and it's the pre-change model.

Personally I'd suggest looking at a more modern 4 pot calliper and leave the discs if you want a cheaper option, or bet would be to upgrade both.

If you're up fro some engineering work rather than a buy it and fit it kit, then look round at places and consider using aluminium bells, off the shelf rotors (AP, Wilwood etc) , and suitable off the shelf callipers with custom brackets.

My S3 has the dame brakes as yours, if I were to keep it then I would probably put better callipers on the existing set-up.

Andy