free hit
counters
Solbit and trim questions - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
giorgio67

Solbit and trim questions

Hi friends,

I have some questions:

How can I remove/dissolve/clean the Solbit all around the windsceen edge etc..?

There is a solvent or something similar that i can use without damaging the fibreglass?

I have found a lot of screws in the windscreen edge but I don't have any references about that also because i have not found the spacer block as used on the early esprit for the mounting procedure as reported on the Manual.

These, are maybe the screws for the fixing of the internal trim on the roof where is mounted the clock?

It's original the piece of wood I've found under the centre/upper trim?

Any helps / photos welcome.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Edited by ghe67

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Giorgio

I used a wallpaper scraper (don't know what the Italian translation of that is!! It's a thin flat metal blade with a wooden handle) to remove the large bits of Solbit from my windscreen area and then cleaned up the residue with Acetone. The wood you are referring to is original and is glued and also screwed in place. The other screw holes are for the clips which hold the glass in place and are on the top and sides of the windscreen. The clips rust and disintegrate over the years so you may not even be able to see them!!

Regards, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Paul,

thanks!

Regarding the clips I have read that were used only on the earlier models and not on the late S2/S2.2 as reported on the manual (service bullettin) I'm wrong?

Do you have any photos of details?

I know what is the wallpaper scraper, good idea. :lol:

Ciao

Hi Giorgio

Hmmm... I only know what my car has but that's an early car so you may be right. I believe the clips are available from SJ? I haven't got any photos of my 'A' posts at all but I did make a note of which holes the clips were fitted to but that's in the garage. If you don't have clips fitted I wouldn't worry about it. I assumed they were only fitted to stop the glass moving around when fitting the screen?

Regards, Paul.

I had a look at my notes and basically if you look at all the holes around the windscreen they are either for the screws which hold the wood in place or the clips. So if you mark off which ones go into the wood all the others are for the small metal clips. Hope that helps!!

Paul.