free hit
counters
Oil on spark plug threads - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Crescent Fresh

Oil on spark plug threads

Well, my spark plugs have oil on them. There is oil in the plug wells, but I think that'd just a cam gasket thing. However, the oil on the threads concerns me.

The oil is on the bottom 2 or 3 threads when I pull it out (on all plugs). It still drives well, doesn't smoke, doesn't smell like oil.

Is this bad?

If so, is it an easy fix?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like there might be some leaking from the valve cover gasket area for sure. It gets hot and seaps into the spark plug wells. Then it seaps past the spark plug seat and follows the threads down. You almost cannot see where it is running down the sides. I had this a couple years ago. Replaced the 'paper' type gaskets three time in a year... then I got smart, bought some cork gasket material, traced out the OEM gasket, and bingo. No more leaking.

If you read is good (plugs might be a little sooty to indicate a bit of a rich condition in a turbo car - should be a rusty brown to ash color on an NA car), I'd think this is the issue.

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

Thanks, Auto. I was worried that it might be the rings.

From what I've read, it looks like I can still drive it with no problems. I'd really like to wait and do this in October when it's below boiling point outside!!!

It is hot... and it is not even that hot yet. But the Alabama humidity making up for it! I think you will be fine driving the car. You might get some fowling on the plugs when the oil seaps over night, but nothing too devestating there. You might want to do a compression test as well to be sure you are getting balanced compression numbers, but if the car feels fine I doubt there is anything serious going on beyond a little leaking.

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark