free hit
counters
HELP! A.R.B - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
peteyg

HELP! A.R.B

Being a complete muppet but I've forgotten which way the ARB goes! Have I got it right in the photo or is it upsidedown? The offset shape of the bracket says this is the right way as there is one tube sticking out of the chassis further!

DSCF3689.jpg

Also, what spacers (if any) should there be between the bush brackets and the chassis and does the L shaped cross bar for the rad cowl supports go between the ARB bracket and chassis or on the outside of the bracket. Need to get it back together this w/e ready for the Oxforb meet!!

DSCF3693.jpg

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by peteyg

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That is the right way round Pete as mine is the same.

The front suspension castor angle is set by adding washer in between the chassis and the ARB bush, if there were any in there when you took it off then put them back.

Not sure about the support bar for the rad cowl as i haven't got that bit, but suspect it would go on the outside.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Cheers Hilly. Think I might have goofed on the castor washers. Need the Geo set properly at some point anyway so it'll have to wait. I suppose there's no way of getting it roughly right?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

To get the set-back approximately right (that's set by the shim plates Hilly mentioned going between the ARB mounts and the chassis. measure from the wheel edge on the back wheel to the wheel edge on the front wheel, (centre of the wheel is better, but may involve judgement as to where the centre is). The 2 distances (left pair and right pair) should be equal, move a shim from the one with the longer measurement to the one with the shorter measurement, move a known number of shims at a time and see the effect it has.

I'm sure I posted not too long ago about toe in and toe out measurement.

Caster, is going to be very difficult without the right kit.

Andy

Is the castor angle set differently on the S2 when compared to the S1? My S1 has shims behind the steering rack where it bolts to the chassis. To me, that makes sense but I don't see how you can affect the castor by shimming the arb? As always I've missed something but what is it!!

Edit :- Just checked the S1/2 manual and if definitely shows the shims (which I'm assuming are for castor because I can't see what else they would adjust) between the steering rack and the chassis (mounted behind the brackets which hold the rack to the chassis).

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Couldn't say what those shims adjust but the ones behind the ARB mounts definitely adjust set back and caster.

By making the ARB mount move further forward (using more shims) it pulls the outside end of the lower link further forward, assuming the upper wishbone is stationery it means the inclination of the axis the wheel turns on is altered, hence altering the caster.

The reason I suggest getting the set-back the same on both sides is that ideally the car will have already been set (prior to disassembly) such that even camber will be achieved at the same time as zero set-back. so get zero set-back, you hopefully get even camber.

I still can't think what those shims achieve behind the rack, unless it's to achieve the right angles and distance for the steering joints.

Andy

No wonder the bushes in the lower arms don't last very long if they're twisted in all directions!!

I had always assumed (wrongly) that castor angle was set by shimming the steering rack but having read up a bit on the net I see what you're saying. When I dismantled my car and removed the shims from behind the rack I just assumed that that's what they were for and mine had nothing behind the arb at all?

It's interesting that the manual gives no mention (none that I could find anyway) of adjusting the castor angle :lol:

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire