free hit
counters
GT3 water level sensor broken - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GordonMasson

GT3 water level sensor broken

Im sure there is probably a thread on this somewhere but I couldn

Edited by GordonMasson

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Assuming its the plastic tube type of sensor I have on my S4s then it has a ball bearing that has probably got stuck.

If you turn it upside down it should read open circuit (or closed) and vice versa the right way up.

I sprayed WD40 in the hole at the bottom then shaked it about a bit and its been fine since.

ALan

Hi Gordon, the float in the tube in mine got jammed with brown gunk. So When I had my leak of coolant it never rigestired till there was not enough to cool the engine. We jetted water into the holes and this freed it.

I dont think this part gets checked often

Alex

Thanks gents

So assuming i have the same sort of problem, can i check if its working by putting a meter accross it or do you need power on it ?

Hai Gordon,

If it is the float type you can test the senor with a multimeter set on resistance measurement when unplugged. The senor is just a switch. Switch closed = almost zero (a few) ohms and switch open is indefinite resistance.

Freek

Esprit Freak

I tried giving the thing a good flush out with water WD40, soaked it in WD40 for a few hours but im afraid its a gonner.

Anyone know what car this is from or is it a Lotus part?

I couldn't free my float either despite a thorough soaking and shake in WD40. I carefully cut it open to clean the parts and glued it together with epoxy.

Wreckers wouldn't sell the float without the expansion bottle for well over a hundred dollars and Peugeot wanted around $120 for a new float! From past experience I didn't even try the local Lotus dealer.

If you cut it open do so near the bottom. Go slowly and don't let the hacksaw blade go any deeper than 1mm or so otherwise you'll damage an inner tube. That inner tube has the magnetic switch in it.

Overall not a difficult job if you're slow and precise.

Edited by DanR

DanR