free hit
counters
Oil Pressure Accumulator - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DBredS4

Oil Pressure Accumulator

As the title suggests, I am thinking about one of these (an Accusump) as they pre oil the engine before startup (my pressure gauge doesnt register pressure for a second or two !!) and provides pressure during surge which is nice to know, I wason track on Friday and I had one eye on the pressure gauge!

Question then, has anyone fitted one and if so by whom and to what and how much and and and and...

I suspect I will have to go to Lotus direct as they will have the knowhow but any help from you guys is appreciated

Cheers

Edited by DBredS4

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lotus fit these as standard to the 2Eleven, not sure but think they are on the Exige too. Ring up and ask for either Technical or Sport who'll be able to help you.

For the record, I don't know of anyone who has fitted one to an Esprit.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

yep deffo fit one of these if your gonna do fast road or track, not just to protect the car but as you say `it takes your eyes off the track` the fear of the engine going BANG, and that`s just gonna slow ya down. Not done it to mine yet but is on the list.

I had one of these fitted to my race car before I was allowed dry sumping. There are also a couple of guys in my race series (including a stupidly fast Lotus Sunbeam) using them.

They aren't as good as dry sumping but they are fine for the odd track day and as a bit of insurance.

The unit is T'ed in to the oil system, on most cars it is fitted between the oil cooler and oil filter sandwich plate. Not having a Esprit (yet!) I don't know if they are fitted with an oil cooler, if not then I would fit one at the same time.

There are two types of accumulator, electric or manual. For a road car I would fit the electric one which activates when you turn on the ignition. This will have the benefit of pre-oiling the engine as well.

They also come in different capacities. I wouldn't bother going too large as it could cause other issues. If you aren't getting surge yet then 2-4 pints would be fine.

If/when you fit it make sure that the air pressure (this is what it uses as a 'spring') isn't too high and remember to put in some extra oil as some will be 'lost' in the accumulator.

The disadvantages of the system is it reduces overall normal running pressure a bit (about 5psi, but I had an adjustable pump so just screwed up the pressure), it can lead to the sump becoming over full for a time, the protection is only for a limited period and if you rely on it and forget to turn it on/valve sticks/fuse blows etc you end up with a blown up engine (I have done it once and I know of a couple of people that have as well, I ended up just leaving it on all the time).

In the end it is a sticky plaster. It does the job very well for the money and effort involved but it does have limitations.

As for cost, I would budget around