free hit
counters
Brake servo help.... Please :) - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mwmackenzie

Brake servo help.... Please :)

Hi does anyone know the difference in the brake servo on my 88 turbo and an S4, are they easily swaped?

I have the Brembo set up on my 88 turbo but they feel wooden. I had a V8 before with the brembos and I was pretty happy with them. I have braided hoses throughout and dot 5.1 fluid and Pagid Rs4-2 pads but they still do not inspire confidence so I'm thinking of changing my servo to the later type.

Do they work the same and have the same connections? :)

Please help ( C'mon guys someone must be able to help me here, where are the brake gurus? ) :ermm:

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you were thinking of switching systems like that, you might be better served switching to another system then the Powermaster III system which is quite problematic.

Thanks guys!! Anyone have any suggestions and info on products???? Is there anything I can do to improve my brakes???

Mark

Edited by mwmackenzie

I thought you were selling up Mark?! Keep it!

The servo on our car is fed by the vacuum pump. The later cars do have an electric pump.

The accumulator is only because they don't have the big round thing we have in the front compartment.. The later cars mount it somewhere else for convenience, as the ABS gear goes in the front area and is fairly big.

I reckon if you changed from an engine operated vacuum system to a vacuum pump, that may provide a better feel. I'd be tempted to try that first, as either way you'll need the electric pump so it won't be money/plumbing time wasted.

If it's still not up to spec, then add the other bits as you go.

Remember the later ABS equipped cars had different proportioning valves as well.. And the car was designed to almost lock the wheels on the later setups, knowing the ABS controller would kick in. I'd leave well alone to be honest as the later setup may not work without a whole load of other stuff.. including changing the wiring loom!

Fit the electric pump maybe and report back.. It's something I considered a while back, and may still do!

Yes I'd steer WELL clear of the powermaster III.

My brakes on the Powermaster 3 are all over the place, last night they were nice and firm which meant I could stop but the week before they were ALL over the shop.

I'm going to try and bleed them today again and see what happens (using a correct method no-one else knows !) - if not the KH system might be the way to go for me too.

facebook = [email protected]

Thanks again fellas...

Thanks for the advise Jon...

Glyn it's going after the engine rebuild is complete in a couple of weeks, but I just thought the brakes could do with some imporvement for my drive to germany.... I just thought they'd be better than they are with the brembo's all round and pagid RS4-2s.. the buyer is putting alcon or AP on anyway and fully adjustable suspension as that's his business doing suspension set up for race cars....

I guess I should just leave well alone but I'd rather sell her at her best than see anyone dissapointed whith all my efforts if that makes any sense?

Cheers

Mark

I know what you're saying Mark. However, when I upgraded the brembos on mine, I wasn't overly impressed by the feel either.. except when you push a little bit harder and the wheels lock up with hardly any major effort!

I don't know whether it's the spec of the car, but the brakes always feel poor.. but they do work well.

I want to replace my rear calipers with some 4 pots with integrated handbrake mechanism. So far I have an elise rear caliper on Sport 350 sized discs ^_^