free hit
counters
Running an S3 as a weekend toy is it possible ? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jb111s

Running an S3 as a weekend toy is it possible ?

Hi there,

Wondering if you guys can help. I currently own an Elise S2 which has been reliable & a great little weekend toy. Trouble is I've now got a proper everyday car so I'm finding I'm using the Elise less and less (only 3 times a week for small trips to the gym, supermarket etc) & doing less than 3k a year.

As impending wedding coming up I'm considering selling the Elise & having a pure weekend fun car & a bit of cash in the bank. I've always dreamed of owning an Esprit & currently have been drooling over the S3's for sale on pistonheads for around 6-8k.

Given that I am a complete mechanical numpty, but have a very good friend who is a mechanic & willing to help me work on any problems I may encounter, is an Esprit S3 bought for around 6-8k & has been meticulously maintained & sensible proposition for my needs ? Most importantly is it easy & cheap to work on ?

All advice much appreciated,

Jon

Edited by jb111s

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When you say weekend car do you mean you will use it for a couple of days a week, or will it be a couple of times every other month?

The first should be fine, the later will just give lots of hassle, things will rust up, stop working etc.

a super car may be inexpensive to buy today compared with its original selling price, however the running costs are still supercar running costs, cars will benifit from use but stiil need work just to keep them in good nick, if you have to pay someone else to do that for you then costs will mount...not trying to put you off, but consider the options before you take the plunge

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

S3 should be fine at 3,000 miles a year but you want to be sure to use it a couple of times a week all year round if you can. An S3 with no turbo and no air-con doesn't have all that much to go wrong, but maintenance will never be Fiesta money. IMO any Esprit is best looked after by a spannerman who's familiar with the cars, not just the local oily rag.

its like any other car , you may need to have a little fund for the intial years ownership as you will more than likely find a few things to sort out. after that you have to keep on to of things like regular a,b,c shedules etc.. its only a 4pot engine so not too difficult to work on. try one out and see if oyu get on with it, see if theres an owner near you who can let you take a look and possibly have a drive.

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Yes I would use it at least 2-3 times a week just for small blasts around town & a regular run at the weekend to do the shopping & for a blast. Definitely wouldn't let it sit in the garage. Was thinking about forking out around 8k for a really well looked after sorted one & then a couple of grand aside contingency for any major repairs or surprises.

I'd get it serviced religiously as per the recommended schedule as well. TBH I'm just wary of any major expenditure if I got one. Worst case if the engine or gearbox went could it be repaired easily, cheaply etc etc. This is why the S3 appeals, apart from the looks, I'm guessing its probably cheaper to repair than a later S4, so wouldn't necessarily have the super car costs if that makes sense ?