free hit
counters
Max RPM? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trevsked

Max RPM?

All,

Having cured what I thought was the limiter cutting in at 5700rpm, I spoke to Moorland Jones and thanked them as the car (81 dry sump turbo) revs cleanly through 6500. He was a little less enthusiastic about revving this high. As the specs suggest 210bhp @ 6200rpm (correct me if I am wrong) what do you guys think a safe rpm would be?

Although I took the motor to 6500 thats not something I would do all the time but would usually change up at 6000 or just above. Anyone got experience, good or bad?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

According to "Lotus Esprit, The complete story" the peak power of 210bhp is at 6,250rpm. The book also quotes John Miles as saying "The build-up of power is smooth and strong - without peak - to the safe limit of 7,000rpm". It also describes a magazine review where the limiter cut in at 6,700rpm and when Lotus heard that this was occurring they sent Roger Becker with a replacement car that had a correct limiter of 7,000rpm.

Hope this helps.

What does your user manual say? I know that my V8 manual has max rev details.

Regards,

Peter.

Well my car will pull to 7000 along the back straight at Castle Combe and it seems fine on it. It saves a shift to 5th and back to 4th in a very short stretch and is quicker overall. I haven't had too many issues, tho this year blew off a water pipe and last year one of the rear silencer rings worked its way off the back box. So I guess there's more pressure/vibration than would be experienced in normal driving.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Thanks guys,

I asked because of the mechanics reaction to me saying 6500rpm, so started to think perhaps I was pushing my luck. Just had a look at the handbook and it says,

"MAXIMUM safe engine speed is 7000 rpm which cannot be exceeded as the distributor incorporates a 'built-in' safety feature in the form of a 'cut-out' type rotor arm.

Engine felt perfectly fine at 6500 and as it doesen't drop out of the power as I change up plus peak power is acheived circa 6200, I think I will aim around there when at play.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Not having perfect eyesight for close up stuff anymore I got fed up squinting at the rev counter whilst twirling the wheel & changing gear at the same time when tackling 'challenging' routes - so I've got a nice big orange sticker set at 6,000 rpm & a red one at 7,000.

Often shift at orange, only occasionally get to red. Not blown up yet.