free hit
counters
Front Brakes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
winners

Front Brakes

Just replaced front discs on my S1..1 hour job I thought. Well just come in after starting the job at 6.00 pm, it's not 9.20 ish. One piston ceased solid and all bar 40 mins of that time was trying to free it! Got the new pad in now but will need a caliper repair kit / pistons and seals. Where's best to get them from any ideas.

Mark

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I hear the replacement pistons are not hard chromed like the originals. I decided to have two of my originals hard chromed instead of replacing them. It costs about

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Paul,

you can get Stainless steel caliper pistons for the esprit (Type 14) at 14,50 GBP each.

Cheaper and best than re- chrome your old pistons.

Take a look.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/products.asp...iperpistons.xml

Ciao :(

Edited by ghe67

Giorgio is right stainless steel caliper front pistons are your best option (they will out live the caliper) and are not expensive

I turned my stainless steel ones up on the lathe at work, if I would have seen them for

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

Does anyone know if the calipers on my 81 Turbo are Type 14?

Thanks.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Paul,

you can get Stainless steel caliper pistons for the esprit (Type 14) at 14,50 GBP each.

Cheaper and best than re- chrome your old pistons.

Take a look.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/products.asp...iperpistons.xml

Ciao :(

That's a good find there Giorgio and they're cheap as well :( I may just replace my front ones and be done with it!

Regards, Paul.

I know for sure that the rear calipers are the same up to 1985, regarding the front I think they are different, so not type 14.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply,

Does anyone know what they are so I can order the right rebuild kits. What other cars were they fitted to?

Trevor.

Edited by Trevsked

I have emailed SJ but like the idea of a Staniless piston if I can get them for my 81 TE.

Trevor.

If there is some members interested I have found a very good source for the front disc S1/S2 in Germany.

These are the original disc for the Opel Ascona so the same as early esprit, but take care ordering because there are also the same disc but with a different diameter that are not good for the Esprit, (237 mm if i recall correctly) 246mm are the right measures for ours cars.

I have bought them, very good quality, not cheap reproduction, and they are listed at 32 euro, I have paid the equivalent of 39 GBP including fast postage to Italy.

Just checked at Powerstop site and now they are listed at 105 GBP the pair.

It would be a good alternative for all the S1/S2 owners.

http://cgi.ebay.de/OPEL-Ascona-Kadett-Mant...1713.m153.l1262

Ciao :thumbsup:

Edited by ghe67

If there is some members interested I have found a very good source for the front disc S1/S2 in Germany.

Now all we need is a cheap source for the rear discs. On the SJ website they are over

Paul,

I'm looking to find another source for the rear but it's not so easy and also I think there is not any cross references for these parts.

I don't know about the SJ rear (Lotus part number and not SJ prefix so maybe original part) but the Powerstop UK rear (the only two sources I have found) have not the original specifications regarding the thickness...even if they fit without problems.

I will see.

Ciao :devil:

Edited by ghe67

Here is a pic of my front caliper. Anyone know their original destination before lotus used them?

I had a C service recently as i decided I didn't have time to do it myself having just oved house but pretty dissapointed as it was quite expensive and came back with more problems plus having taken the wheel off for this picture, I see the pads are down and there was a P clip missinf from the pad retaining pins. I should have been advised and the clip replaced. As always, if you want something doing...........

Had to use this link until I figure out how to post more than the 3 pics I am seem to be allowed.

http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll235/Trevsked/

Trevor

The Cheapest place to get front disks for an S1 I found was Cristopher Neils, I paid

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

The rears show up as

Edited by Paul Coleman

The rears are

Yes you're right about the price Matt - my mistake. I didn't read the blurb and just assumed!

Have you tired 'Classic Brakes' They can be found in the Club Lotus Mag, & always have a stand at Donnington. As far as I know they do callipers & disk for all models & are resonable priced.

Daz

The need for speed can be found with a Lotus