free hit
counters
Got some of the Powdercoating back - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Artie

Got some of the Powdercoating back

Well guys(and gals) I know some of you have been anxiously awaiting some progress on my build. I haven't heard anything about the engine rebuild as of yet, I honestly don't even think that Michael Motorsports has opened it up yet. BUT, I sent off a few things to dress the engine up by powdercoating some things. Here they are. The header tank was cooked and bead blasted back to fresh unrusted steel and treated with Ceramachrome ceramic powder coat which is good to 300F and is clean as a whistle inside and coated inside as well. The intake manifold is extremechrome powdercoat and is awesome in person. The rest is wrinkle black powdercoat and I will 3M wheel off the ribbing to make it silver. Finally the exhaust manifold is treated inside and out with a 2K degree F. satin black coating so it will stay black and not rust as it was before! More news to follow as I am hoping Michael will pull the engine apart in the next few days and let me know what went wrong and what we need to do to fix it!

Artie

lotusenginerr020fo6.jpg

lotusenginerr020fo6.140f62ffa4.jpg

lotusenginerr021ss1.jpg

lotusenginerr021ss1.87f17a5447.jpg

lotusenginerr022jx2.jpg

lotusenginerr022jx2.4c871ee4d9.jpg

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow Artie that looks fantastic! I should have powder coated mine when it was all apart, I just went for a wrinkle finish paint.

P.S. Are you going to LOG this year?

Thanks Graham, unfortunately I don't think so, I don't think I'll have the car back together in time for that. I don't even know when to expect the engine being finished! Suppose I could drive my FD out!

Artie

artspictures156rv2.jpg

artspictures156rv2.98da83cc06.jpg

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I really like the black, looks great.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Artie,

looks good mate!

Just some info from my project. I was told not to powdercoat the manifold/chargecooler due to the residue this process causes to the metal especially on the inside.

If any of the inside on any of these parts have been exposed to this process it can cause some issues with the car at a later stage since the powder is imposible to clean and it may escape to the inside of the cylinders.

I was told not to use this method for that reason thats why I choose the beadblast or soda..

Just a thought for those who would like to do the same.

Edited by greekmixS4

Greek, Thanks for the input, I had the powdercoater tape off all areas and mask any area that powder could get into so no worries there. The only thing coated inside is the header tank, which is ceramic coated not powdercoat, and the exhaust manifold which is a 2000 degree plus application coating also ceramic coated so not an issue, actually have had this coating on my FD exhaust manifold and turbo hot sections with no problems and actually many others have been doing this to other turbo cars for years with no issues. I will grind off the black on the LOTUS lettering and ribs maybe this weekend and put some pics up of them then!

Thanks all,

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Artie,

Looking good.

Super finish.

Saw a V8 engine at the factory in black and I am tempted.....

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Artie,

Something that I forgot to mention when I was going through the same thing.

Powdercoating due to the material used traps the heat inside the metal in this case manifold or chargecooler.

Lotus have used this rinkle paint for that reason to allow heat escape as soon as possible.

We all know the diffrence in temp can cause to the performance when the chargecooler is running hot.

When you complete this project I would be interested to see your free scan file and see if the chargecooler temp is any diffrent.

Dont get me wrong I love that look but I was stoped from going ahead with it after speaking to to many experts on the heat tranfer issue.

These cars need to run as cool as possible to produce HP..

Keep in touch!!

Edited by greekmixS4

Have you ported the intake diffuser yet....might want to do that while the intake manifold is apart...supposedly some CFM's to be gained there as it is a restriction. Also be VERY careful with the throttle bodies so you don't mess up the settings.

Should look very "Sport 300" ish when all buttoned back up! :lol:

As far as the powdercoating...I don't remember any differences in my freescan logs after I powdercoated those parts on my old 93 (god rest her soul). The chargecooler was still cool to the touch after. Regular paint doesn't exactly breathe either, so the differences are likely barely measurable. I guess it depends on how thick the powdercoat was applied.

I guess it can be seen both ways as it will prevent heat soak as much as it retains heat :animier:

Edited by Paul93Lotus