free hit
counters
Red Hose Syndrome - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jrome

Red Hose Syndrome

Hello to everyone :( ,

I am a recent/ proud owner of an 88 lotus Esprit and just need help in clarifying some things (so please bear with me).

I seem to have problems placing the gear in first (especially when starting from a stop). It seems that I have to ride the clutch a little bit then the gear seems to just fall/get suck in without much push or effort. Is this normal for the esprit or is this part of the dreaded RED HOSE SYNDROME? Can this be another problem that I am not noticing?

I tried using the search option without much success. Thanks again for all of the great help.

Regards,

Jrome :(

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congratulations on the purchase (so your profile is out of date now).

It could be the red hose syndrome, or a few other things. To replace the red hose isn't difficult, but it is more diffiult and more expensive than the first thing to do on the list.

1) leaking seals, check around the master and slave cylinder seals for signs of leaks going past the piston seals and either getting out of the end seal or retained by the end seal (pull the end seal off, wipe the area with a tissue, it will be slighly damp from the fluid, but not really soggy)

2) old fluid (it may contain water and/ or air), drain the old fluid completely and replace with either DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid (assuming it's not DOT 5.0 that's in there currently- which is not that likely).

4) red hose syndrome- you'll have to replace it, not abig job, not going to cost the earth, yuo could replce it with a new red one- why bother? You could replace it with a new braided one, I'm sure you've seen the cost. You could replace it with copper pipe (brake pipe), then simply use a short (6-9 inches) flexi hose from a brake system at the slave cylinder end, cost would be minimal if somebody will make a copper pipe to length for you- and a lot of motor factors will do that.

3) worn clutch, last, most expensive, and most time consuming option, either the pressure plate, friction plate or bearing have started to fail. need to unbolt the gearbox and get to the flywheel, so not a 1 hour job. Lots of clutch options, personally I've gone for PUK's +25% as it's still cheaper than a genuine standard one and handles more power.

I'd suggest going through in the order above, as the cost rises sharply at the end, so better to waste

Hi Jrome

Another thing to check are the translator bearings as they have a tendency to sieze.

You might try spraying them with WD40 and leave to soak for a while,

Trevor

logo_01-2.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for all of the great advice. I will get those checked the same time as when I get my oil/belt changes done.

Yes...need to get my profile updated :(

Thanks again for all of the help.

Hi, congrats on the car.

I had similar problems with mine, engaging 1st (& 3rd gear) gear was a little awkward and often I ended up turning my stereo off as my hand was so close to the off switch!

Fixed the problem with new gear linkage and arranging the settings so it sits more in the middle of the gear shift hole, meaning I don't turn my stereo off any more.

Bought from here: http://www.espritperformance.com/

Also had the red pipe removed and replaced with a new braided version.

Much better and more fun to drive.

Gavman

Lotus Esprit Turbo Chargecooler SE 1991

Gavin... Jrome has a citroen box... so that will not work.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

er yes, you are right, I keep forgetting about that darn Citroen box.

Gavman

Lotus Esprit Turbo Chargecooler SE 1991