free hit
counters
Check Engine on - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kyusho

Check Engine on

Hello there,

I have a small (hopefully) problem with my S4.

I was driving and turned away from motorway and just let the speed go down on its own. When I tried to accelerate again, the Check Engine light turned on and the engine turned off.

Electrics are OK, every cauge functions normally.

Any ideas - alternator?, something else .....

As far as I could see all the belts are intact.

Any ideas and help welcome.....

Pekka

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When you turn the ignition key to ON (from OFF), can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Does the engine turn over when you turn the ignition key? Does the cranking sound normal or weak?

A Lotus is like any other car... Look at the basics, such as fuel (and fuel supply) and electrics (battery voltage, spark, fuses, etc).

If you have some basic tools, you can check the fuses at their various locations (the fuel pump fuse and relay is in the boot)

Unfortunately, the forum can only offer limited assistance unless you have a reasonable toolkit and diagnostic tools, such as Freescan.

Cheers/

Ian

If you run a freescan on the car should solve all your faults since its very hard to generalise why the engine light comes on.

The system is not that sofisticated on its on without the freescan or the lotus computer tool which reads the ECU.

Running freescan is also an art as I found out. however if you have an old PC running win95 or millennium windows you can do the job quite well.

If not you need to visit your authorised dealer who has a PC tool to read out the errors stored.

If you want to reset the ecu with any errors stored disconnect the battery for a while (few hours) then connect it back on again. if the is light come on then you fault is definatly there and will beasy to fix when you read the ecu.

Good luck

Edited by greekmixS4

Hello Pekka,

The very first action you should do is reading out the fault codes(s). You have two alternative ways to do this:

1. The blinking light counting method (see workshop manual Section EMH.1 page 9)

or

2. Tech 1 or Freescan

Once you know the codes, just tell us.

Cheers

Marcus

Hello there,

I have a small (hopefully) problem with my S4.

I was driving and turned away from motorway and just let the speed go down on its own. When I tried to accelerate again, the Check Engine light turned on and the engine turned off.

Electrics are OK, every cauge functions normally.

Any ideas - alternator?, something else .....

As far as I could see all the belts are intact.

Any ideas and help welcome.....

Pekka

Marcus

hello Pekka,i had this happen once on my s4 light on engine died, rolled into a pub carpark, opened boot looked at all the wires i could and sprayed with wd40, 5mins later car starts, never seen the light on again, check the coolent level in both tanks in case the float is stuck, i usually give all the electrics aspray when ever i check water or oil etc - freescan would be the best option but if you dont have it these may help

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Hi there,

It was serious (and expensive also....) :lol: . The cambelt lost its grib, slid and you can guess the rest.

So my new car will be at service till august. And I will be a lot poorer :) .

Pekka

Really sorry about that one.

When was your cambelt last changed?

Hope it doesn't work out too expensive for you.

Rog

Edited by SE Owner :-D

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

I finally got the verdict from servicew gyus. Not good but not a total disaster.....

The cambelt had lost its grib, slid and lost many teeth.

The result was some bent valve shafts - I will get the exact number tomorrow.

So the whole thing will cost about 3500 to 4000 euros....... :beer:

Sad to miss good driving hours :(

Hope I still get some kilometres during the fall......

Voi Perkele (oh shit +++ in english) ;)

I hear about your problems when talked with Laatuvaunus Harri last week. Really sorry about this. Is your car in Laatuvaunu or Autorep or somewhere else?

Are you going to Estonia next Saturday? We are going to see Lotus Tallinn with Sport cars club of Helsinki.

Finally I got some good news.....

My S4 engine is finally ready. They had to replace all the valves. The reason for long servicetime was that exhaust valves were very hard to find.

I should be getting the car on the road next wednesday, so few weeks I will sure spend behind the steering wheel :P