free hit
counters
Bought an S4s engine from Douglas Valley breakers - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nigel

Bought an S4s engine from Douglas Valley breakers

To cut a long story short, the engine on my SE packed in about 6 weeks ago, end of camshaft sheared, suspect oil feed to camshaft, no oil pressure problems.

I weighed up my options and as my engine had covered 79,000 miles decided the best option was to buy a second hand engine with a lower mileage.

Bought an S4S engine from Douglas Valley breakers from a car with 13,700 miles on the odometer.

This car : http://tinyurl.com/46caws

I received the engine today and it looks okay although it's difficult to tell as it has been cleaned.

It came complete with clutch and flywheel and the clutch has a date on it of 29/12/00.

I am now wondering why the clutch would have been changed on a car with 13K on the clock.

I have a replacement clutch that I have bought for my SE but had not fitted and it appears physically to be the same, bolt holes are the same. I can't compare the clutch from the SE engine as I have not taken it out yet.

Looking at the other recent post about clutches I expected to find a different clutch and flywheel.

Does anyone know the history of this car?

Are there any obvious differences between the S4S and SE/S4 engine?

I would like to satisfy myself that it is actually an S4S engine.

As far as I am aware the cylinder head is different and it has a bigger turbo (and a different ECU map).

The oil pressure sender has only one spade connection on it, does the S4S have an oil pressure gauge?

It does have on OEM oil filter on it so it's not all bad news.

Can I get any infomation from the engine number?

Probably too many questions at once, but any help appreciated.

Nigel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for that, just the information I was looking for. I am at my work just now so can't check the engine number.

Another barrage of questions:

The notes that came with the engine recommended I change the timing belt (which I was going to do anyway) and flush the engine.

I think the engine has been lying unused for some time.

Has anyone flushed their engine before, how did you do it?

Any other advice on how best to start the engine after installation?

The breakers yard also carried out a compression test on the engine and attained 160psi on all cylinders, doesn't mean anything to me, is that figure OK?

From what I can see they have bolted the starter on and I assume squirted some oil down the spark plug holes before they turned it over.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

Am now back from work and have checked the engine number and the cylinder head for S300 and .........

Hold the front page, looks like it's a 2.0 litre chargecooled engine made in November 1995.

LN920.9511.29165 C

There is a number on the cylinder head where Travis says it should read S300, but it says L602.

Am going to phone them once they are open.

Will keep you posted.

Oh yes, thats definitely a 2.0 litre engine ...

... I'm not sure if you were looking for something like that ....

JFYI, for the Italian, Greek and Turkish market they actually did 2.0 litre S4S Esprits from factory.

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

Sounds like you got a GT3 engine. I would have words with Steve at Douglas Valley ASAP if I were you.

I bought a 2.2 SE turbo engine from them for my SE some years back. The cam belt was missing when I got it so my suspicions where aroused. Turns out it had had the head removed to check for damage following the crash the donor car was in (that obviously took the cam belt off). Who ever re-installed the head put the cam carriers on the wrong way around (inlet on exhaust side ect) which would have been fatal if the engine had been started in that condition (oil drain holes from the carriers are different). I stripped the engine down again and checked it all. Fortunately everything was in good shape (other than cam housings back to front), so I didnt feel too badly done by (the engine, inc chargecooler, good manifolds, inlet system etc was only

Yep sounds like a GT3 engine to me too

This is a long story so pay attention.

Phoned Steve at DVB and told him there was some kind of mix up and I had received a 2 litre GT3 engine intstead of a 2.2litre S4s. He looked at the V5 for the car and gave me the engine number. the registration and the chassis number, the car was listed as an Esprit S4S 2.2 litre.

I phoned my local dealers and they confirmed the engine number was a 2 litre,they gave me a phone number for Lotus Technical and the guy there assured me the engine number was for a 2 litre. I was still a bit confused as the V5 stated it was an 2.2 litre S4S.

Phoned Steve again and he said "Lotus haven't produced a 2 litre since the seventies", I looked up LEW's site whilst I was on the phone with him and read out the spec. for the GT3 and part of that was that the GT3 should have only one fuel filler, but this car clearly had one on each side, a rearspoiler and S4S etched into the rear quarter glass.

Steve then phoned his local dealer Cristopher Neil, who then got in touch with Lotus to get some more information.

Turns out it was a bit of an oddball, a customer had requested a GT3 engine to be fitted in the S4S from the factory, what a bummer.

I do have to add that in all of this Steve from DVB was very helpful and we were both equally confused.

Had to go to my bed after this and I left DVB trying to source another engine, although I'm not going to get an engine the same spec. as I was hoping for.

As Marcus says the S4s export had the 2.0 litre engine so it's not totally out of the question.

Why someone would request a GT3 engine when the GT3 wasn't even in production (announced ?!?) when the S4s was being made is a little questionable though. S4s's were up until 1996 - GT3 didnt appear until 1997 - unless they were going to export it and knew of the fact they were sold as 2.0l capacity abroad....still, smells fishy to me - and I know fishy when I smell him :thumbsup:

At least you saved the hassle of fitting it and finding out later ! Shame it wasn't what you were after.

facebook = [email protected]

Does sound fishy for sure!

Nigel, can you get the chassis number to me and I'll double check for you?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs

The chassis number is SCC 082 920 THF 42061 and the car registration is P59 OAH (yellow S4s).

Engine number LN 920 9511 29165C

Have been offered another engine supposedly from a 1990 chargecooled car with 38K, but the chassis and engine number don't back this up.

Chassis number SCC 082 910 JHD 13148 and engine number LP 910 8904 26166.

Getting a bit p****d off now.

Thanks Nigel

It's all a bit confusing but it appears that the first engine was a 2.0l 920 from an S4s originally destined for Italy.

I can't help with the 2nd as there is no build book. Lotus remove build books from the company archive when a car is no longer with us due to being written off or there may be another reason it's no there, but it's not.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the yellow car had a previous engine change and the prev owner got caught out as you nearly did, i.e. got a replacement S4S engine without checking what it really is. As stated above Italian market S4S cars had the 2.0 engine for Italian tax law reasons, so from Italy the engine could genuinely be said to be an S4S engine.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Rob

That engine has been sold already, gonna be buying an SE engine with 38K on it, so I'm told.

Have 30 days warranty from the date it is delivered, should know within that time if it's ok. It's

Edited by Nigel

Bibs

The chassis number is SCC 082 920 THF 42061 and the car registration is P59 OAH (yellow S4s).

Engine number LN 920 9511 29165C

Have been offered another engine supposedly from a 1990 chargecooled car with 38K, but the chassis and engine number don't back this up.

Chassis number SCC 082 910 JHD 13148 and engine number LP 910 8904 26166.

Getting a bit p****d off now.

Thanks Nigel

Hmmm, that Vin # decodes to an 1988 turbo with a 910 engine, the engine was made in april of 89 (I don't have my 88-92 manual with me so I can't fully decode it until I get home. But it doesn't look chargecooled from stock.

There are many differences between the chargecooled and non chargecooled engines.

1)Starting with the pistons, the charge cooled pistons are different than the turbo and the 920 pistons.

2)The fuel rail, 6 injectors rather than 4

3)intake plenum

4)chargecooler and MAT sensor

5)sodium filled exhaust valves (might be on all turbo)

6)silicon-bronze exhaust valve guides (might be on all turbo)

7) apparently the oil pressure sender is different for a different pressure range...

I'm sure there are more.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Yeah Travis, I could see the chassis number was for a standard turbo as the fourth number from the end should have been a 5 instead of a 3 if it was chargecooled. I spoke to Steve from DVB about this and he said maybe the engine was changed at one time. Mmmm....

I have just received the engine this morning and it has a C stamped on the block at the end of the engine number. It has a chargecooler fitted and the engine loom is there with the plugs to the ECU. I did ask Steve, when the engine was still at DVB if the engine had a C stamped on it about twice the size of the serial numbers, to which he replied it was. The engine does not look like it has a C freshly stamped on it as that did cross my mind. The C is of the same type of font as my own engine and that on the GT3 I sent back.

He assured it was from a car that had done 38k miles and I'm not gonna sweat too much wondering if that is the case. Just gonna fit it and see what it's like.

Just had a quick look at it before I left for work but I'll check the points you brought up tomorrow morning.

Thanks Nigel

Edited by Nigel