free hit
counters
New engine build - Oil leaking from the oil filter seal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New engine build - Oil leaking from the oil filter seal

Hi guys,

I recently rebuild my engine and I am having problems. I think I assembled the pressure bypass for the oil pump incorrectly. The rubber seal on my oil filer is being pushed out and oil is shooting everywhere. It was sealed correctly before I started the engine. Is there anything else that can causes this? Also, does anyone have a proper picture of the correct way to reassemble the pressure bypass? The service and parts manual are a joke where this is concerned.

Thanks,

Spunbearing :thumbsup:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks for the quick reply Mike and the pictures. That looks how I remember assembling it. I wonder if I placed the sleeve in backwards with the holes down. I have to take the sump off to find out. Ug.

There really shouldn

thought 4 and 8 cylinder cars have the same filters in use ?!

just take a look into the R&B parts offer list...

PS. take an cross-reference for 'Mahle OC 18' an you can find several oil filter replacements for the Lotus ones

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

The assembly in the part catalogue looks like a totally different design to the parts on any of my engines (

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Are you sure it isn't a resonance issue causing the oil filter to undo slightly? - Only ask as i have experienced such an issue on the racer....oil filter undid just enough to blow the seal out like you are experiencing.

Easily sorted once the oil has been cleaned up! :flower:

Andrew,

Have you checked to make sure that there is only one seal between the filter and the housing. It sounds silly I know but if the previous filter has been on there a long time or was perhaps over-tightened then they can stick. I know first hand, as I have had it happen to me on other engines in the past.

Hope you find the issue,

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

Are you sure it isn't a resonance issue causing the oil filter to undo slightly? - Only ask as i have experienced such an issue on the racer....oil filter undid just enough to blow the seal out like you are experiencing.

Easily sorted once the oil has been cleaned up! <_<

I wish this was the case because it is an easy fix but unfortunately the oil filter was on tight. I had to use my filter pliers to take it off.

Andrew,

Have you checked to make sure that there is only one seal between the filter and the housing. It sounds silly I know but if the previous filter has been on there a long time or was perhaps over-tightened then they can stick. I know first hand, as I have had it happen to me on other engines in the past.

Hope you find the issue,

Stuart.

I had the oil filter assembly off the block so that I could clean it so I know that there was not a left over seal on the assembly. The oil filter that I put on was new from the Lotus dealer but I will double check to make sure that they didn't install 2 gaskets from the factory. I would think this would be easy to notice though.

I just completed a complete engine rebuild and flushed out all the oil passages with pressurized solvent and then air to make sure that there wasn't any leftover bearing material in the block. I didn't want my new bearings damaged because I failed to clean properly. I am still thinking that it is the pressure relief valve because I know I installed the sleeve backwards. I will know this weekend

• 3 weeks later...

What was the final outcome on this one - Did you ever discover the problem?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I got it back together and fired it up this weekend only to find one of the oil lines is leaking. Will this project never end? I am also getting a code for the engine knock sensor and one of the cats was glowing red hot at idle. I double checked and found out that I had the O2 sensor wire crossed but with the oil leak I have not been able to find out if this caused the over heating of the cat. I already took it out and check for blockages. The engine sounds good when it runs. Has anyone else had this problem?