free hit
counters
Throttle cable - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit s2

Throttle cable

Morning.

Just replaced my throttle cable on my S2. Am a little confused (nothing new there).

I've been told that the outer cable does all the work whilst the inner cable just sits there. I can't see how that works.

My inner cable attaches to the throttle pedal (via the linkage) and then the other end connects to the carb throttle lever. With me so far? I try and depress the throttle pedal but because the cable is secured to the carb throttle lever it can't move!

Is my car set up incorrectly? Will take some photos in a minute and post them to clarify what I mean......

Enjoy the sun (for those in the south of England)

Paul

Edited by esprit s2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
I've been told that the outer cable does all the work whilst the inner cable just sits there.

That sounds very wrong. The outer cable doesn't get involved on my car, can't see it being the case on yours.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On my Turbo, the pedal end is just like yours..at the carb. end, the cable outer fastens to a bracket on the back of the plenum chamber..the inner then extends to the carb. operating arm where it's secured as per your photo, as far as I can tell. I think you haven't fitted the cable outer to it's securing bracket..thus the inner and outer cannot move seperately and the system won't work.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

This thread should explain everything.

Note to all. You can search the forum ffor keywords, topics, members, etc. May get you a quicker or more complete answer as many things have been covered once or twice or more already. Click on "My assistant" above and then chose the Search tab.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Shocking memory Paul!

I think this pic is a good one that is in the same configuration as your engine. Interesting other method - never would have thought of that.

151bsq9.jpg

Iain