free hit
counters
Question on Lotus Serial # sequences - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Question on Lotus Serial # sequences

I'm curious about how Lotus sequences car VIN #s.

My car, a 1991 SE VIN Number is: SCCFC20B9MHF60073, which mean it's the #73 car of the 113 built SE in 1991. In my mind that means there should be 113 sequentially numbered Esprits from 1-113 (last 4 digits).

Yet I see 1991's Esprits with VINs like:

SCC082910MHF60325 (Car #325?)

SCC082910MHF60127 (Car #127?)

SCC082910MHF60299 (Car #299?)

My question is....Is it possible that there are more than 113 Esprit manufactured in 1991 or does Lotus use some funky numbering schemes? Is my car really #73 off the assembly line or a much earlier car in the sequence. My car was built in August of 1990.

Thanks,

Chandra

91SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been putting the Esprit Registry together I can say that it appears to be very random! Also, cars were often not sold sequentially so the date of first registration that we have access to on the V5 bears little resemblance sometimes to the date of manufacture!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes, the non-sequential nature of the last digits (and possibly not starting with 001) would explain these cases and would explain mine in particular.

Mine is a RoW car, SCC082910EHH10xxx

There were 522 Lotus Esprits made in 1984, 301 were for the UK (197 were Turbo, 104 were NA), 174 went to the US, and 47 were RoW cars, of which mine is one. However, my last three digits are greater than 522 even though Lotus made only 522 cars that year.

I've corresponded with Chris Brown at Lotus and he was able to provide me with a surprising amount of information about my car.

regards,

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Yep Chris Brown is your man, he leaves no stone unturned in his quest to find the history of your car.

On the subject of vin numbers, BIbs is right it's all very random. My car was GT3 22 off the line in Nov96 but was not road registered unil March 97, ad the vin number ends in 21.

Chris is unfortunately no longer the company archivist. The rest of the guys in technical are very, very good though <_<

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If you read page 4 (i think) of the parts book (on the forum somewhere in pdf) it gives a breakdown into how the VIN works.

It's not random and does make sense, trust me!

Basically (from memory as i'm not at work for a little while) its made up as follows:

17 Digits:

digits 1 - 3...'SCC' = sports/motor Car

digits 4 -6 are the model so...'082' Esprit...'089' Excel...'026' Elan RWD...'100' Elan FWD and so on (this is also the Lotus type number)

Digits 7 - 9 are the engine type so...'910' 2.2 Turbo...'912' 2.2 NA...

Digit 10 is the year of manufacture, J is 1988 i only ever remember that one then count up or down! yes K would be 1989 then, L 1990

Digit 11 is H. This means it was built at Hethel, Hethel is a small village outside Norwich that houses a mad Aftersales team amongst others.

Digit 12 is the 'Market' it was built for. So 'D' is Domestic for UK, without a book i can't remember the others but you'll see them in the parts book.

Digits 13 to 17 are the unique VIN for your car. I think if it starts with a 6 its a USA VIN tho thats my brain cells at full stretch and i could be (prob) am wrong.

And that chums is how the VIN is worked out, so after all that yeh you're right it prob is a bit odd!!

Finally this is my 1st time emailing from home, have installed BT Broadband anywhere package with the PDA for away from home free calls and WWW, it really is rather good too!

Toodle pip

Gooner :lol:

Parts Supplying Lotus God